2005 with all the engine issues of the 3V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
The 4.6 will fit just fine. If possible get the harness and computer with it. Most used auto parts have them as a unit and are fairly cheap. Most come with a 60-90 day warranty

A 5.4L 2V would be a much better alternative. Or better yet, just do a timing job like mentioned and you'll be set.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using new Motorcraft parts (they've been updated) will fix it so it doesn't fail again, as long as you do the whole job. Lots easier than an engine swap, imo.
CONCUR !

Once all of the accessories are off and the valve covers and front cover is off, the rest of the job is gravy. There should be no additional (or very minimal) extra labor involved in replacing ALL of the valve timing components, including the oil pump.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Older vehicles were no big deal what motor/tranny you installed. Biggest issues were will it fit under the hood, and finding the right motor/ trans mounts. Nowadays you've got computers and sensors, and wiring harness's that aren't there. Then theirs the flashing of the computer to make it all play nice together. Unless your real good at electrical retrofits, I'd take the advice of the other members, and rebuild yours with new Ford updated parts, or wrestle in a complete engine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
This statement makes no sense, and has no backing whatsoever. Wix makes Motorcraft filters, the MC filters are exact WIX models with the ford name stamped on them at a cheaper price. Price =/= quality. MC filters are the best filter for these engines for the money. WIX makes some of the best oil filters on the market today.
Wix do not make Motorcraft filters. They make them for Napa. Champ/Champion make Motorcraft, to Ford spec. The cheapo oil change places, use sketchy, off brand filters(group 7,etc). Ford, upgraded phasers and spark plugs, on the models with issues.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wix do not make Motorcraft filters. They make them for Napa. Champ/Champion make Motorcraft, to Ford spec. The cheapo oil change places, use sketchy, off brand filters(group 7,etc). Ford, upgraded phasers and spark plugs, on the models with issues.

Depends which filter, the FL-820S I use from Ford is made by purolator.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I have a 2005 EB with 130k or so on it, the cam phaser, oil pump, or timing chains have went out on it. will any other motors/years besides the 3v 5.4l motor bolt in this with out a ton of fabrication or retro fitting? I may just replace it but don't want to put the same ol junk in it.

If you're handy with a wrench go for the timing job. I did it myself over a weekend and it was a gratifying job. I had just under 100K on my 05 and it was starting to sound like a diesel. I never had the stumble, misses, or CEL. I did it as a preventative correction. If you do it, make sure that you replace the timing chain tensioners... The seals on the back of the tensioners are really the smoking gun for these issues. The o-ring seals from the factory fail and lead to oil pressure bleed-off. The pressure doesn't make it up to the phasers, and all hell starts to break lose.

From the top of my head the parts changed were as follows:

Phasers, chains, guides, tensioners, (I changed the solenoids too, but it wasn't mandatory). I also changed the oil pump as there has been significant research that proved the flexing of the back plate of the pump above 3,000 RPM. This lead to some bleed-off as well, similar to the tensionser issue. I used a Mellings high volume pump with a billet back plate. The pump is on the crank snout and you do not need to drop the pan in order to change.

While I had it apart, I did a power steering pump ,a water pump, and the serpentine belt as they were easily accessible.

Big job, but when you hit the key and hear nothing but injectors and exhaust, it restores a lot of confidence in your ride.

Reaction score
SAME, I did exactly what the guy above did 1 year ago or 11k miles ago. I bought just about everything mechanical from NAPA and the hoses, belt, plugs and fluids from Advance Auto Parts. It cost me just under $2000, just think, even if you swap a motor you are still going to want to change most of that stuff out as long as it is apart so... might as well fix what you have, because you know there is going to be 1 or 2 sensors that just will not communicate properly and will cause the engine light to light.

By the way, my chain tensioners blew out while I was using a Mobil-1 filter...never again!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Motorcraft OEM upgraded set minus oil pump can be snatched on amazon for $850