2006 XLT... and got issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willshooter3

Reaction score
Wife and I have had this truck since about 2008. All was well. We ran it. We changed the oil, filter; air filter and battery when needed. Did the brakes on it. All was well.
Year and a half ago, the truck developed major issues. It was hesitating, it was stumbling, couldn't step on the gas, without it trying to die.
So. Here's the deal. Figured it was starving for fuel as it kept throwing different cylinder codes and such.
I changed the filter-broke the @#$*@*( blue clip in the process and that was an adventure.
Anyway.
It runs a little better, but still hesitates, misses and such.
I can get it up to speed-kick it out of overdrive and run up the RPMs and she will boogie.
But.
The truck has about 200K on the clock.
Now, for years, out of fear of "HOLY @#$() WHAT NOW????!!!!" I have avoided the spark plug issue.
So.
I'm kinda like a newb at this so, don't judge me. How hard is to change these bad boys out?
Is the nightmare all it's made out to be?
Is there something else that could be causing this? Fuel pump? Maybe?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the plugs original to the truck? Were they changed? If so what year were they changed? Answers to these will help a lot as there are 3 different part #s of plugs since the original style.

OP
OP
Willshooter3

Willshooter3

Reaction score
The plugs are... original. Yeah. I know.
So. Pulled some codes tonight. P0304 and P0453.
No 4 misfire and a fuel pressure issue.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, with 200k on the original ones that’s going to be about as difficult as it gets. Watch FordTechMakuloco series on 4.6/5.4 3V plug removal. You are going to need to buy the lisle removal tool as you will likely break some. If they had been changed in the last few years to the SP-515s you wouldn’t have to worry about breakage.

The night before you change them break plugs loose 1/4 turn and spray carb cleaner in each plug well liberally. Let it soak over night to break up carbon. In the morning retighten the 1/4 turn and then remove them fast with Dewalt or equivalent impact driver.

The new replacement plug number is SP-546, they have more crimps and a different snout so they don’t break.

TomB985

Reaction score
Plugs are the first step, but it sounds like this concern happened suddenly. Can you list the codes that were showing? There might be something else going on.

Reaction score
You should have plugs replaced and probably coils too. Replaced mine with SP507s in 2010 when vehicle had 95k. 3 broke during extraction, so definitely got use of Lisle tool. Just replaced them again last year at 190k (with SP546s), only 1 broke this time (it was in the easiest location to get out, but I didn't expect it to break).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SP-507 is the original design of the plug, SP-515 fixed the breakage but had misfire issues occasionally when new. SP-546 is the latest and best edition.