2007 Expy Aftermarket Radio Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless your trying to do readings on capacitors or other fancy stuff, the cheapest meters will read voltage, ohms, all you'll need for basic automotive stuff. I'm a bit confused why the aftermarket adapter harnesses don't work. Like one of the other members said, why not give Crutchfield a call. Unless your hooking up something exotic, the harnesses basically have 12 volt constant and switched, a ground, and a bunch of speaker wires, 8, plus a subwoofer connection. Beyond that, theirs probably a few for GPS, the radios I've done didn't have that. Speaker wire colors are fairly standard, both positive 12 volts, ones yellow, ones red. You just need a simple schematic.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zigwaldo

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, been a wild couple weeks. Thanks to those with helpful answers. I ended up going with this crutchfield harness after spending some time with their support. However, it didn't include the harness for the sub, so I kept that piece out of the Metra 70-5521 (which crutchfield didn't even list as applicable for the expys, so this all still doesn't make a whole lot of sense). Between the two I have all functions aside from steering wheel controls (might do later, haven't found a need for it).

AlStar1971

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition EL with the basic system and subwoofer, no navigation. I pulled the aftermarket radio because I hated it. I noticed a power line being ran from somewhere from under the dash I don't care for this as well. I'm guessing the previous owner did this for the same reason you were talking about. I want to get rid of this because I found it to not be a stable connection. Zigwaldo when I clicked on your link for the harness it said it didn't match my system which I find to be weird since I think you have the same connections as my vehicle.

OP
OP
Z

Zigwaldo

Reaction score
Yeah it was a hell of a process figuring out which harnesses to get. The ones they say did fit, didn’t even come close, and the one in the link that isn’t supposed to work, works perfectly [emoji848]. I had no issues installing it along with the smaller harness for the sub, and I’ve been running them since this post and have had no issues. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You purchased at Best Buy....did you take advantage of free install...?

Good question. I was under the impression the parts came from best buy, maybe not the radio because I would assume they would have done the work as install for anything over $99.99 has been free basic install for about 6 months now. The installation resources available to the installers would also have addressed all of these issues.

OP
OP
Z

Zigwaldo

Reaction score
You purchased at Best Buy....did you take advantage of free install...?

Nope, A) the parts the “install tech” insisted were right, were not. B) I worked at Best Buy in a past life and have had stuff installed by them before when I got my discounts. Had to re-do every installation, so I opted to save myself that headache.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zigwaldo

Reaction score
Good question. I was under the impression the parts came from best buy, maybe not the radio because I would assume they would have done the work as install for anything over $99.99 has been free basic install for about 6 months now. The installation resources available to the installers would also have addressed all of these issues.

The incorrect parts came from Best Buy. If they couldn’t figure out what parts I needed for the install, why would that be any different if they installed it?

If you have that level of trust with them, then that’s great. Doesn’t mean we all have to...