2008 Brakes grabbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Heck

Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition. Just replaced front pads and rotors however, my brakes still pulsate or grab when slowing down. Could this be the ABS system? Or possibly rear brakes and rotors? Replacing the front rotors and pads did not seem to help.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition. Just replaced front pads and rotors however, my brakes still pulsate or grab when slowing down. Could this be the ABS system? Or possibly rear brakes and rotors? Replacing the front rotors and pads did not seem to help.
typically pulsating brakes is from warped rotors so i would take a look at the rear.

OP
OP
D

David Heck

Reaction score
I’ll check them for sure but it seems like someone is stepping on and off the brakes not than pulsating. Thanks

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
I would do the back regardless. Ours were just about as shot as the front when I did ours...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can borrow a dial indicator, you can remove rear wheels, put back 2-3 lug nuts, rotate discs. Their should be .004 or less run-out. Do the same on front. As far as Abs, run the codes. I think you'll need an advanced scanner to do that. Any better brake shop can do that if it does, and you don't happen to have. You probably have a sensor or something that's not functioning right. Is the Abs light on?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Make sure the rotors are seated properly with no rust on the hub, and that the wheels are secured evenly. If your new rotors came from a chain store and cost $19 each, throw them out and buy real ones.

Try stopping the car, or slowing it down with the emergency brake. Hold the lever out and step on the pedal. That will tell you if the rear drums are pulsating.