2008 Expy XL tow package fast right turn signal caused???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get it the rapid turn signal means a light bulb problem but could it mean something else besides a burned out bulb? Is it only for running lights or also inside lights? How about the trailer plugs and wiring to them?

I have looked at bulbs and all looked good. Even third brake light. Right and left sides work equally. A mechanic did say he found a loose bulb and the signal blinked as it should until I hit another bump. Didn't ask which bulb and he isn't there now. Nut!

Suggestions?

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it has to be something related to the turn signal. If bulbs check out good then it may be the bulb holder/connector. Sounds like it's intermittent... so I would focus on the problem side (left or right), get access to the bulbs and wiggle things around to see if you can make it come back to zero in on the culprit.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was just thinking that if you pulled all the bulbs and put them back in you may very well have fixed the problem. So maybe just wait until it comes back to then look at front/back turn signal to see which is giving you grief.

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply Bob.

I will wiggle signal bulb wires to see if it makes a difference. When the service tec "fixed" the fast-blinking I had already eyeballed the lights during operation and they seemed to work evenly, right and left sides, so I was amazed he said it was a loose bulb.

Also, I have seen somewhere online, forgot where by now, that there are ways to "tighten" loose bulbs. Maybe I need to research that again.

I will check wires at each turn signal bulb but does the computer. I guess it is computer controlled, still see a difference in voltage but the bulb burns? The hands on each bulb is coming up.

Thanks again.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a resistance thing... lower resistance (one bulb is out), higher current, the flasher (capacitor) charges and discharges (flashes) faster.

OP
OP
jimz

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not the same. Left signal and lights work as they always have. Right side rapid-flashes and all lights look to be burning, same as right side.

When tec at dealership "fixed" them before and they worked most of the trip home, about twelve miles. I used signals for lane changes and all went fine. Then I made a right turn and noticed the rapid-flash was back.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were my Suv here's what I'd do. I'd get a new socket and bulb for rear passenger side, splice it in, shove some dielectric grease on terminals of bulb, and be done with it. In most cases it's the rear socket. I'd also do as Vancouver Bob said and do a wiggle test.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which light rapid flashes, the front or the rear? The other isn't flashing at all, right? Which ever isn't flashing is most likely the culprit. If the tech was able to get it to work you may be able to verify with the wiggling of wires or pushing on the bulb.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Is there really a non-burning bulb? Pretty easy to check it's working despite the fast flash.

Fast flash is an indication there's a bulb out but is merely detecting low resistance from the lack of a bulb burning. Tried contact cleaner in the signal bulb sockets? Comes in a spray can. New flasher relay? Using LEDs by chance (doubt it)? Forscan can fix fast flash in my '17. Not sure what it can do for an '08.

-- Chuck