2009 Expedition EL- Rear Shocks, or Struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2009expdude

Reaction score
I want to replace my rear shocks on the 2009 with 68k miles. I put bilsteins in the front last year. Are they shocks or struts in the rear? Thanks

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP

2009expdude

Reaction score
OK- but now I'm just more confused...should I go with one type over the other? Or stay with whatever type it is I have? I am a noob.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to replace my rear shocks on the 2009 with 68k miles. I put bilsteins in the front last year. Are they shocks or struts in the rear? Thanks

They are struts. FoMoCo will tell you they are shocks (because that's what their computer system says), but they are struts.

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No affiliation with any supplier but here is a page that shows the exploded view of a 2009 EL (I think these parts are same of Limited and EB) rear strut assembly: here

OP
OP

2009expdude

Reaction score
Thanks all. So I looked underneath- if they're struts, do I need to replace the coils, or can I reuse and just get the shocks they're wrapped around? Don't mean to be so dense, just want to get the right parts. Gracias.

IMG_6173.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. So I looked underneath- if they're struts, do I need to replace the coils, or can I reuse and just get the shocks they're wrapped around? Don't mean to be so dense, just want to get the right parts. Gracias.
I'm curious too because my 05 had working air suspension. The 17 doesn't and in a few years, I'll be doing this research too.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

View attachment 21191
Keep the coil springs and just replace the shocks and probably the strut top/bushing. Your will need a spring compressor though to do that. If you can't get or dont have a spring compressor just find complete assemblies(strut,coil spring/mounts/bushings) that can be bolted right in

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be the same process you followed for your fronts. You can borrow/rent coil/strut compressors from your local parts store or if you had someone else swap the front just get them to do the same for the back.

I believe the bilstein part for the back shocks from reading some other threads on here is
24-197724

You might want to replace the spring insulator (sits on top of your coil spring under the top mount)
But I'm not sure what the lifespan of these is? With your mileage you might be fine.
Ford part number is: 7L1Z-5536-A

If you decide to replace the whole complete strut assembly with new springs and everything just make sure the manufacturer will warranty them for use on the EL. Several of them wont from just going through it myself and talking to several. Two that I found would for sure were strutmasters and American air suspensions.

I ended up buying a set of stock complete assemblies (like what you are running now) to convert over from my air suspension as I wanted to make sure I had the correct coil spring rate for the EL. I will eventually rebuild them with bilstein stocks like you are planning to do.

outdare

Reaction score
I went with rancho quick adjustable strut. I found out after I bought them that the springs are softer than stock through a question on issues I had. Out of the 4 I ordered 2 were incorrect and to be sent back. So try to keep your stock springs. Most shops will transfer your springs for a fee or rent the spring compressor tool. Also I would recomend a impact gun. It makes the removal easier. Lastly do not tighten the struts completely till you have put weight on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk