2009 Expedition EL- Rear Shocks, or Struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2009expdude

Reaction score
Just an update: I ended up returning my bilstein strut shock components and am getting the full replacement strut with mounts for the rear. There was too much labor in the replacements/rebuild and it wasn't worth it.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update: I ended up returning my bilstein strut shock components and am getting the full replacement strut with mounts for the rear. There was too much labor in the replacements/rebuild and it wasn't worth it.
Out of curiosity, how much were they going to ding you for labor? I'd think it should be at most an hour's labor to assemble all 4 shocks.

About a week ago I replaced all 4 coilovers with the Rancho kit on my 2010, and in the process I swapped my factory rear coils onto the Rancho rear shocks since they're not rated for the EL. The coil swap for each took me about 20 minutes in the driveway so a pro should be able to tear through these in no time.

If anyone's considering that kit, I'm happy with the results and the selectable dampening is a nice, functional feature. I'm looking forward to testing the ride difference when towing one of these weeks.

OP
OP

2009expdude

Reaction score
the rear are not shocks- they're struts. More labor, plus also I'll prob end up needing strut mounts so I'm better off getting the entire strut. + an alignment.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but the shock can be replaced independently of the spring. On mine I reused the factory spring perches. The shocks were all I purchased.

Just sayin'