2009 moonroof problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GroovyMcAwesome

Reaction score
Moonroof started acting up today. It slides open and closed, but doesn't raise to deal when closed. Nor does it tilt.

Is this a simple repair? Do I need the entire kit or just a part? Where is best place to order?

B

bedrck46

Have you tried to redo the

Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization

B

bedrck46

For an existing roof opening panel motor/module:
• Press and hold the open switch until the roof opening panel glass moves to the full OPEN position.
• Press and hold the open switch (for approximately 10 seconds) until the roof opening panel glass moves past full OPEN, then back to full OPEN. Quickly release the switch.
• Press and hold the open switch. The roof opening panel glass will move to full TILT, then back to CLOSED (initialization movements). The initialization movements will start within approximately 3 seconds after the switch is pressed

Release the open switch and test the system for normal operation by carrying out one-touch open to comfort STOP, full OPEN, close from full OPEN to full CLOSE and TILT operations

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 sun roof for sale it is excellent condition 250.00 plus shipping send me a email if u r interested. Thanks

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey bedrock. Does this reset procedure work on older expys as well?
I have a 2004 and I did the stupid thing of trying to open the roof while it was -20 outside. Guess there was some strain on the motor or mechanism and now the rear of the glass tilts higher on one side and the motor keeps trying to tilt the rear to close. I took a very quick look but didn't see anything that seemed to be broken or dislodged.

B

bedrck46

I am not familiar with the reset I was looking thru my service manuals and I only have up to 2007 on the expy's and came across that procedure although his is a 2009 the 2007 is in the same generation I figured I would pass it along to him It may just solve his problem Let me look at the service manual for the procedure on any info and I'll get back to you

B

bedrck46

Just checked Procedure for the 2004 is the same as 2007 This is for the existing unit if you change out the unit there is a slightly different procedure

OP
OP
G

GroovyMcAwesome

Reaction score
For an existing roof opening panel motor/module:
• Press and hold the open switch until the roof opening panel glass moves to the full OPEN position.
• Press and hold the open switch (for approximately 10 seconds) until the roof opening panel glass moves past full OPEN, then back to full OPEN. Quickly release the switch.
• Press and hold the open switch. The roof opening panel glass will move to full TILT, then back to CLOSED (initialization movements). The initialization movements will start within approximately 3 seconds after the switch is pressed

Release the open switch and test the system for normal operation by carrying out one-touch open to comfort STOP, full OPEN, close from full OPEN to full CLOSE and TILT operations

Tried this and it didn't seem to work. When it closes, the back of the moonroof moves up to seal, but then goes back down. The tilt button doesn't work at all. Any thoughts?

B

bedrck46

possible switch problem If you can remove the switch would suggest that you get some spray electronic contact cleaner and see if you can spray the contacts of the switch

Catsnipped

Reaction score
So I am having a similar issue with my new (new to me as of last thursday) Expy - I believe the used car dealer replaced at least some parts of the sunroof prior to selling it. Basically everything works seemingly smoothly, but when I attempt to close it, it goes past the flush "closed" point and finishes recessed. I can trick it into closing at what I believe is the right point by manipulating the buttons, but there has got to be right way....

On my unit the only 1 touch feature is the Vent feature; all the others are press and hold.

That said, I am trying to interpret which buttons I am to push and in what sequence so that it will recognize the positions.

Help! and thanks in advance - Chris