2009 XLT Temperature Control Blend Door Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Notes from my replacement Project:

I reviewed several YouTubes and post this one as the one I relied on:

I crafted my own tool with this product:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4DZB1T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took an 8mm hex from the Husky Set in photo below and used a Dremel to cut the length so that the ratchet is a low-profile tool that fit between the Blend Door and the Bracket above.

Putting the rear bolt in was the crux and I dropped the bolt twice. Used a magnet to find one and lost the second - Ugggh! Greater care would have helped.

Taking the rear bolt out was no problem, but putting it back in was the challenge.

You may want to by a couple of lengths of 8mm hex bolts. A 1/4" bolt or something shorter than stock may be easier to put back in. Even with my low-profile ratchet, I could not get it to work for the first two rotations and had to hand tighten. This is when I dropped the bolt.

If there were no drops, this is a half hour to one hour project. Took me 2 hours; and saved the $800 dealership - dash removal charge.

IMG_2181.JPG IMG_2185.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2183.JPG

OP
OP
Ralph Campano

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Pictures above show the cut down 8mm hex and full size 7mm hex. Both are needed for the project. The replacement Blend Door was purchased from Ford for about $45; and I think if you have an EL the part is different.

OP
OP
Ralph Campano

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
I guess not, but the part may be different. Motorcraft Parts online order will let you know.

I assume your control is not the dial, like the XLT has. However, the placement of the Blend Door should be in the same difficult location. Hence the special ratchet tool that fits in the confined space. Without the tool, I understand that you would need to remove the dash to access the bolts.

FYI: It takes less than 15 minutes to remove the panels and stereo to ID the location and verify if the Blend Door is Clicking. This includes replacing the stereo and panels. Once you verify the problem, you can order the part.