2010 EL Limited Aftermarket Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salty_Dalty

Reaction score
My mom has a 2010 Expedition EL Limited that has the rear seat DVD player, factory back up camera (through the radio, not rear view mirror), factory radio with nav, parking sensors, steering wheel controls, and the factory amp and subwoofer. I am looking to retain as much features as possible when replacing to an aftermarket double din radio with Apple Carplay. I have a JVC KW-M650BT headunit already with a front USB, rear aux, bluetooth and Apple Carplay. I am looking for information on what I need in order to retain all the features listed above. I am aware I will not be able to retain the factory USB and Aux ports in the center console but that doesn't matter. I emailed Crutchfield about it and they basically said I can't do anything to keep the factory backup camera to display on the new radio, but I know that isn't true. I have tons of experience installing radios and sound systems, but not retaining factory features like the backup camera and stuff. So my question is basically what all do I need to do in order to keep the backup camera and the other factory features I listed above (Other than the factory nav, I know that isn't possible)? Thank y'all in advance!

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Maestro will take care of keeping the steering wheel controls and ties into the vehicle computers for vehicle information. As far as the camera is concerned, my Kenwood head unit has a camera connection, but it is for a "normal" camera RCA type connector. To connect the proprietary Ford camera coax, you would have to cut off the Ford end and solder on the correct RCA end. JVC and Kenwood are a single company, so I would be surprised if your unit doesn't have it. My Kenwood is from their Excelon line. That could possibly make a difference.

Update:
The new Kenwood model I just looked at has 4 camera inputs, so there you go:

Last edited:
Reaction score
ADE52C4A-B718-4B85-B93F-92EE079900A3.jpeg

I have a 2010 EB and put this in with the Maestro. Absolutely love it with the wireless carplay.

pratik

Reaction score
I did not have a factory backup camera on my recently purchased 2013 Expi EL XLT (very basic model, no backseat screens or additional audio amplifiers) and I basically purchased a cheapo 2DIN android-based system with backup camera from Ebay for 150 and connected the audio harness with Scosche FD5000SW (also bought from Ebay for 20 bucks, but can find on amazon for less than 40). I needed to purchase the antenna adapter (less than 10 bucks) and had to thread through the GPS sensor on the dash from under the hood, along with the backup camera cable (fishing wire for high voltage work behind the walls worked just fine). I could retain volume and track seek/change controls on the steering wheel and while running the backup camera cable all the way to the back was a pain, it was only a couple hours of work and now I have a system with navigation, backup camera, phone mirroring (USB and wireless) and retained essential steering controls. I lost phone answer button from the steering (I can still answer by tapping on the screen of the aftermarket system), Sync, and the plug in USB ports, but the aftermarket audio did have plug-in micro SD+USB and came with two additional plug-in USB cables that I did not even bother connecting. As to your retaining backup camera feature, as someone else has said, you might have to custom-connect the factory camera cable to RCA cable. I recommend getting a harness adapter so that you do not mess with the original cabling (in case you need to get back to the factory one). Good luck and happy to answer any questions :)

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to hook my Kenwood DNX994S up in my 2013 Limited with the Maestro unit and have an extra 2 wire plug. I am assuming that it is for the amp because I had no audio yet the eq showed it was there. Did you also have this issue? I hate to cut factory harness unless absolutely necessary.
Now I know why the camera did not work. I guess I need to cut and splice in an RCA plug?

The Maestro will take care of keeping the steering wheel controls and ties into the vehicle computers for vehicle information. As far as the camera is concerned, my Kenwood head unit has a camera connection, but it is for a "normal" camera RCA type connector. To connect the proprietary Ford camera coax, you would have to cut off the Ford end and solder on the correct RCA end. JVC and Kenwood are a single company, so I would be surprised if your unit doesn't have it. My Kenwood is from their Excelon line. That could possibly make a difference.

Update:
The new Kenwood model I just looked at has 4 camera inputs, so there you go:

Reaction score
I have the factory camera in the rear view mirror and didn't find it necessary to fit it to the radio. There is an adapter that can be used to do it though. If I can remember the name of it I'll post the link.

Last edited: