2010 Expi EL Limited Transmission and Cruise control issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodie

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expi EL Limited with approx 33K miles on it. It is a new truck to me. I bought from a friend who had recently had a problem with the truck now starting/cranking after it had run for a while then stopped for more than about 5 minutes. Took the dealership a long time to figure out it was a sensor in the transmission not telling the computer(s) it was in Park. I bought the truck knowing all this, it was fixed under warranty and I didn't notice anything unusual while test driving it for about a week. Recently, I have noticed some strange transmission and cruise control issues. I will try to break them into 2 categories but the issues may be caused by a common problem.

Cruise control... The CC is slow to respond on uphill situations. It will not shift until it is almost 5 mph slower than the set speed and when it does shift it will usually drop 2 gears with a big jump in rpm. Then, when it reaches the top of the hill and downshifts, it will sometimes immediately downshift again with a big jump in rpm for a short period then shift into 'normal' rpm/speed. Then, on long downhills (not short downhill runs), at the bottom it will gradually slow and go down past the set speed. Usually it will be 4-5 mph low before it begins to accelerate back to set speed. Sometimes it will stay at the lower speed with the CC active. Sometimes, the CC will actually go 'off' after it slows to well below the set speed.

Transmission... In addition to the CC issues listed above, the transmission seems to behave oddly w/o the CC on. Acceleration and downshifting seems sluggish in reacting. Sometimes it will downshift 2 gears instead of just one on gentle acceleration. Not consistent but noticeable. When coasting, sometimes it seems to be coasting against compression and then the speed/rpm will change like it is changing gears as it slows. Hard to describe but it is like normal deceleration then you can feel additional 'drag' and faster deceleration as if it downshifted. This typically occurs around 30mph.

Transmission 2... I have a long downhill run before the exit to my house. I often just pop the transmission into neutral and just coast. When I do this with the 2010, the engine maintains rpm like it is gear (CC not on) until it gets down to about 20 mph then the engine drops to idle rpm.

I have talked to the service dept at local dealership and so far they are baffled. Service manager says he has called HQ tech support about this but who knows.

My guess is the transmission control module needs to have the firmware reloaded but we are waiting for Tech Support to respond.

Any ideas or advice prior to taking it in to the dealer?

thanks
Woodie
2010 Expediton EL Limited 5.4L 2WD

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
Dealer appointment is next Tue, Oct 7. Quick update tho. Meanwhile, I have been driving the truck more aggressively than I normally would and the transmission shift behavior is changing slowly. Too early to tell for sure, but the cruise control seems to also be changing. No longer shifting late on uphills and the strange upshift/downshift at the top of hills seems to be going away. I will keep the dealership appointment scheduled for now but may cancel it if the shift pattern continues to improve.

Woodie

Last edited:

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer appointment is next Tue, Oct 7. Quick update tho. Meanwhile, I have been driving the truck more aggressively than I normally would and the transmission shift behavior is changing slowly. Too early to tell for sure, but the cruise control seems to also be changing. No longer shifting late on uphills and the strange upshift/downshift at the top of hills seems to be going away. I will keep the dealership appointment scheduled for now but may cancel it if the shift pattern continues to improve.

Good afternoon Woodie!

I'm going to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Just shoot me a DM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership.

Todd

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
Thanks Todd

I will get the info you requested to you asap.

Woodie

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
Todd,

Just sent a PM with the info you requested.

Woodie

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
A quick update for those interested. Thanks to Todd (FordCustSrvc) here on this forum and Tami, a Ford Customer Service Manager, in cooperation with the dealership I was originally going to go to, they have arranged for me to use a different dealership (closer) that actually has some hills nearby they can test the cruise control issues while driving. The original dealership had no hills at all near them. This was all triggered thru 'Ford' with no requests or input from me. Tami conferenced me in with the Service Manager of the nearer dealership and they both quickly set up a new time for me to take the truck in next week. No hassle, no dodging......

I know we all like to bash a dealer/service organization for not listening, being stubborn, etc, but in this case I have to acknowledge Ford for being pro-active on this situation. I will admit I was getting myself all mentally set for a 'hassle' when I took the truck in next week, but I really do appreciate the pro-active approach that has been taken so far. It may still be a problem beyond a simple visit/test but at least I feel like I am working with a company that is actually trying to help the customer.

Thanks Todd, Tami and Ford, I will keep everyone posted.

Woodie

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging the battery to reset the system? It would then need to re-learn and may self correct?

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
According to what I have read, the 2010 has KAM (keep alive memory) in it's computers so disconnecting the battery will not reset the shift patterns.

We will find out Wed at the dealer tho.

Woodie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes