2010 headlights/foglights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The first comment on the first video says it all. "Let me guess...the headlights you sell will perform the best and all the competitors will suck." 214 thumbs up and 0 thumbs down. LOL! I would counter Headlight Revolution with which bulbs did they test against? There are a lot of low quality bulbs out there for sure. If they just picked random bulbs most are bound to be crap. It's up to the buyer to pick the best one based off reviews and research. Regarding some of the light beams in the first video I don't think it's a fair assessment because they don't look to be installed correctly. Take the one that is "scattered and too high." The "expert" says "you'll blind people." Well, no kidding. That headlight needs to be aimed down for sure. Different headlights will require different aim. That's a given. There were other beam patterns that were weak or the light was off different directions. That is a bad install as well! The light is that way because the LED isn't directed properly. I had a similar beam pattern on mine until I rotated the LED to direct the light properly. My LEDs can rotate 360 degrees to get the beam focused just right for the housing. So this "expert" isn't installing or aiming these properly. I didn't watch the second video. Who has 30 minutes to watch a video about headlights? If your "expert advise" and "facts" are coming from this guy, I am beginning to see where the problems are.

(mike drop)
You should watch the second video! Hundreds of leds on the table that they have tested so saying they didn't give the others a fair shot is crap.

Headlights should NEVER have to be aimed down out of factory specs to avoid blinding other drivers. If the bulb maintained the same optics as the original bulb they would be spot on but since most leds don't people think aiming down is the righr thing to do.

For the record NONE of my information comes from HR and this was just a visual I found on YouTube so people could see the difference.

(Mic drop)? Might wanna pick that back up because you've proved nothing!

"My LEDs can rotate 360 degrees to get the beam focused just right for the housing"

Show us!

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe not aim down a lot as you said you don't want the hotspot to be pointing on the ground you want to be down the road but differences in manufacturing tolerances between different brands of plain old halogen 9007 often require a slight tweak of adjustment. Heck, I rarely see a vehicle that's over eight or ten years old at the headlights aren't out of adjustment anyways.
I'm just saying to be fair about it you would need do you have each replacement bulb install in the housing and then adjust the housing to get the best Bean you can with each bulb and then compare. Also I think his video show something like 20 or 25 ft. That might be where you adjust headlights on a wall or your garage door but that's not necessarily what you might adjust for and you have an actual car sitting on the road adjusting the lights for best visual pattern and direction but not too high and blinding other drivers.
There is a big likelihood that you take 10 different bulbs and point them on the wall that if you take those 10 bulbs out to the street on a dark night they might not line up in the same ranking one through 10.
But once again I like the videos and your information because it makes it more simple. If you want to just throw some LED bulbs anterior Factory headlights, get one of those two brands or the other good brands and you'll probably do okay.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Maybe not aim down a lot as you said you don't want the hotspot to be pointing on the ground you want to be down the road but differences in manufacturing tolerances between different brands of plain old halogen 9007 often require a slight tweak of adjustment. Heck, I rarely see a vehicle that's over eight or ten years old at the headlights aren't out of adjustment anyways.
I'm just saying to be fair about it you would need do you have each replacement bulb install in the housing and then adjust the housing to get the best Bean you can with each bulb and then compare. Also I think his video show something like 20 or 25 ft. That might be where you adjust headlights on a wall or your garage door but that's not necessarily what you might adjust for and you have an actual car sitting on the road adjusting the lights for best visual pattern and direction but not too high and blinding other drivers.
There is a big likelihood that you take 10 different bulbs and point them on the wall that if you take those 10 bulbs out to the street on a dark night they might not line up in the same ranking one through 10.
But once again I like the videos and your information because it makes it more simple. If you want to just throw some LED bulbs anterior Factory headlights, get one of those two brands or the other good brands and you'll probably do okay.
Headlight adjustment on the wall is the correct way to do it! 25' is the closest distance! 2-3" down from the center of the bulb or projector lense at 25'. Not sure about your state but every inspection station in Massachusetts has a headlight alignment board. Depending on how high the vehicle is determines whether its 2 or 3" down. That will give you proper coverage on the road.

This isnt stuff im making up and guidelines set by DOT.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should watch the second video! Hundreds of leds on the table that they have tested so saying they didn't give the others a fair shot is crap.

Headlights should NEVER have to be aimed down out of factory specs to avoid blinding other drivers. If the bulb maintained the same optics as the original bulb they would be spot on but since most leds don't people think aiming down is the righr thing to do.

For the record NONE of my information comes from HR and this was just a visual I found on YouTube so people could see the difference.

(Mic drop)? Might wanna pick that back up because you've proved nothing!

"My LEDs can rotate 360 degrees to get the beam focused just right for the housing"

Show us!

Why watch a half hour sales video that tells me "all other products are crap buy mine?" Simply put, it's not that interesting! Your first video just proved the sales guy didn't know how to install or aim the lights. For all we know he used LED 9006 bulbs that are for fog lamps only. There is a difference you know.

Headlights should never have to be aimed out of factory spec? Umm.. OK.. So I guess I'll just blind people then because the factory set it that way? Why do they make them adjustable then? Should I also tell the shop that does my wheel alignment to set it to whatever it was at from the factory and not what the alignment computer suggest?

OK, so now your info isn't based off these videos you are directing the whole thread to view? You are all over the place, man. Have you ever bought one of these LED bulbs and read the instructions?

Absolutely! I kept a spare at home. I will take a picture and show you how it can rotate 360 to align the LED to the best possible beam.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Why watch a half hour sales video that tells me "all other products are crap buy mine?" Simply put, it's not that interesting! Your first video just proved the sales guy didn't know how to install or aim the lights. For all we know he used LED 9006 bulbs that are for fog lamps only. There is a difference you know.

Headlights should never have to be aimed out of factory spec? Umm.. OK.. So I guess I'll just blind people then because the factory set it that way? Why do they make them adjustable then? Should I also tell the shop that does my wheel alignment to set it to whatever it was at from the factory and not what the alignment computer suggest?

OK, so now your info isn't based off these videos you are directing the whole thread to view? You are all over the place, man. Have you ever bought one of these LED bulbs and read the instructions?

Absolutely! I kept a spare at home. I will take a picture and show you how it can rotate 360 to align the LED to the best possible beam.

Factory should be aiming them accordingly, not my job to deal with it if they don't. The specs are set by DOT not the manufacturers.

I'd love to see this amazing output in the housing in a wall. Showing me how the bulb spins says nothing.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're dodging questions.

It's an adjustment just like hundreds of other adjustments in a car. I'm pretty sure Dodge, Ford, etc would tick customers off if their headlights wouldn't align. Your argument makes no sense.

If aligning the LED to properly hit the refractor doesn't make sense to you, I'm sorry it's beyond your comprehension. There's a reason they can rotate. If you've never owned LEDs and properly installed them, you really can't talk smack about it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LEDs suck in reflector housings, the stock halogens are leaps and bounds better. We’ve had many members switch right back because the LED light was so poor. It just scatters and produces blinding unfocused output....not to mention looks ugly in a reflector housing. I thought about changing my mirror puddle lamps out with the bright light LED, but after seeing how ugly it looked compared to the stock halogen I abandoned that idea...

I’m starting to think vision is why the differing opinions exist, I have 20/20 vision and have never worn glasses. Maybe I can’t relate to most but I’ve never found my stock setup to be lacking, I’ve been happy with the output of ford assemblies. I think the projector halogens in the 15-17 are much worse than the 07-14 reflector.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You're dodging questions.

It's an adjustment just like hundreds of other adjustments in a car. I'm pretty sure Dodge, Ford, etc would tick customers off if their headlights wouldn't align. Your argument makes no sense.

If aligning the LED to properly hit the refractor doesn't make sense to you, I'm sorry it's beyond your comprehension. There's a reason they can rotate. If you've never owned LEDs and properly installed them, you really can't talk smack about it.
Not every car or bulb is the same so obviously they would need some way to adjust that. However, they do a pretty good job getting the tungsten filament in a halogen bulb spot on.

And yes I have owned leds and will never run them again until the technology comes further.

Aligning the bulb is far more than just rotation!

Put your money where your mouth is and lets see them!

Also im not dodging questions, just getting tired of repeating myself to someone that doesn't understand.

I added the videos for the output shots not so you could see it as "my products are the best". But you didn't even skim through the second one.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
LEDs suck in reflector housings, the stock halogens are leaps and bounds better.
That general statement while a universal truth a few years ago is not true in at least my case. Lots of effort apparently the past couple of years on some LED/filament placement so they work in reflectors.

I noted earlier in this thread that I just had LEDs put in my 2017 reflector high beams and they're (may I say?) leaps and bounds better (a vast improvement) over OEM and even the Ultra Star halogens I'd previously installed. If I remember I'll photograph the light fixture in daylight -- they look fine.

I've no clue nor real interest if they're the "best" LEDs, I know these specific LEDs are leaps and bounds better (there's that term again ;) ) than the halogens in my specific reflector high beams. I make no claims for other LEDs or other headlight reflectors or projectors. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

-- Chuck

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
That general statement while a universal truth a few years ago is not true in at least my case. Lots of effort apparently the past couple of years on some LED/filament placement so they work in reflectors.

I noted earlier in this thread that I just had LEDs put in my 2017 reflector high beams and they're (may I say?) leaps and bounds better (a vast improvement) over OEM and even the Ultra Star halogens I'd previously installed. If I remember I'll photograph the light fixture in daylight -- they look fine.

I've no clue nor real interest if they're the "best" LEDs, I know these specific LEDs are leaps and bounds better (there's that term again ;) ) than the halogens in my specific reflector high beams. I make no claims for other LEDs or other headlight reflectors or projectors. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

-- Chuck
But high beams are a different story because you aren't looking to maintain a cutoff. High beam naturally throw everywhere and generally make a good high because of the intense hot spot giving them great distance.