2011 Limited Loud clanking from rear end when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superfordfan

Reaction score
We have a 2011 Expedition EL with 85000 miles on it. Recently, I have noticed that occasionally when driving down the road and I feather or gently push down on the gas peddle, I hear a loud clanking sound coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Not sure if it is from the differential or drive shaft. I can manipulate the gas peddle to make this sound. It wont make the sound if i gently press down on the gas peddle or stomp on it. It doesnt do it all the time, just intermittently. Any ideas?

OP
OP
S

superfordfan

Reaction score
Mossback, thanks for the thought, I was hoping it was something as simple as that. I just checked it and it is tightly secured.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the rear axle there's an arm that has a bushing that likes to wear out. It's called a "Rear Suspension Arm Assembly" part number is 8L1Z-4612-A. Check that out, FordTeckMakuLoco on youtube has a video on YouTube on diagnosing and replacing this part. That's my guess!