2011 power boards rotten "link" rod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monkstr6100

Reaction score
So on my 2011 EL I have replaced the driver side motor and now today finally did the passenger side. The issue now is that I found the "link" rod the runs from the front driven/master hinge to the rear idle/slave hinge is rotted right through. Anyone else have this issue? I plan to go tomorrow to my steel supplier and get some 1/2" tube with a 3/8" ID and make some new ones. May as well do both sides while I am at it. Thanks

OP
OP
M

monkstr6100

Reaction score
And the driver side replacement I used was one from amazon, maybe 140 or so, and has been working great. Although I did also drill out the hole on both sides that the motor shaft goes through to 3/4" and then installed 2 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID brass bushings. To get rid of them crap mesh like bushings that were factory!

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My boards don't want to come back up when it's cold outside. I saw in a post moisture contaminates the grease and blows the motors. Do you think repacking the motors will save them ?

OP
OP
M

monkstr6100

Reaction score
David I would just try hosing then with your lube/penetrant oil of choice and then cycle the boards a bunch. I even went as far as drilling a small hole in the one "gearbox"housing to spray lube into it. It did help but that motor was to far gone and still needed to be replaced in the end. I would not have done the hole as a permanent fix, just did it to get me by a little longer. If the lube doesn't work, the motor for real is getting tired and needs to be replaced. Not a bad job.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have been lubing all joints and it does help. I also wash the underside alot b/c of mud from dirt roads, which was why I was thinking water. Both boards do it, even the Pass side which is used way less. Praying for ground issue but you are probably right. Surprised no one has made a kit yet.