Power running board stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMax15

Reaction score
I spray mine with “Garage door lubricant” which penetrates into the moving parts and leave a light grease behind. I live in rainy Seattle and one side starts sticking every 6 mo or so.

loulblades

Reaction score
When I bought my 2018, one of the requirements was retractable running boards. Since previous trucks did not have them, some of the older members of my family had trouble getting in. Also since we run this thing in the woods during hunting season I like the boards being up higher. One of my previous truck's fixed running boards were somewhat rusted and got torn off in the woods.

Mine do seem to stick now and again and I do my best to keep them clean by running them through the auto car wash with undercarriage wash on and boards out. When that didn't do it, I also followed the procedure from a video that another poster put up (cleaning, wire brush, WD-40 and Fluid Film). The boards were working better than ever until this weekend and we were running through the mud, then temp went to 7 and the mud froze. So at the moment my driver's side board is stuck out. Once it gets above freezing I will clean up.

I know they are extra work but I would have a rough time giving up my retractable running boards.

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
I don't do any off roading, so I view these as a cash cow for Ford, prone to breakdown. There should be an option to drive with the boards down in a fixed position. For those who drive thru all kinds of rough terrain, I can understand the threat of damage. My previous SUV, a Yukon, had the deployable boards, but, when they started to act up, I just drove with them down from then on. GM provided this as an option. Problem solved. Since I need these for my elderly wife to be down in my Expy, I hit all the hinges with rust penetrator followed by WD40 followed by fluid film. I do this religiously every 2 to 3 months and run it thru the car wash with undercarriage rinsing if exposed to a lot of salt, mud, and other road debris. So far, so good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire