Power running board stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've a driver's side running board stuck in the out position. I've read all the posts and watched the videos and fought it with four cans of penetrating oils and lubricants with little success. The best I was able to get was a little bit of retraction with some help in the form of a push in when the retraction was happening.

I'm a bit stumped because the pins are literally glowing and uncorroded, there wasn't really any buildup visible before the cleaning process, basically I don't believe the issue is in the articulating supports, it seems to be in the motor or the rod drive that actuates the boards. But, that doesn't appear to be the solution on the articles and videos.

Ideas?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it all needs lubed and cleaned, including the rods. You need to get them moving up and down and spraying them. Some have reported bad motors though, so if the motor is bad that is an issue too.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a power running board failed outside of warranty, I would just replace it with a fixed running board like a Go Rhino.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a power running board failed outside of warranty, I would just replace it with a fixed running board like a Go Rhino.
To be honest, so far I still do not understand what extra convenience or benefits that a pair of power running boards can provide, compared with fixed boards.

bzav

Reaction score
After several months of use I determined that my power running board didn't help me and when they got dirty, my pants got dirty. I also worried about passengers getting their shins bonked when they deployed unexpectedly as I opened my door.
That said, my wife loves them. But she only occasionally ride in my Expedition. So it is nice to have the option to use them only when my wife is riding.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest, so far I still do not understand what extra convenience or benefits that a pair of power running boards can provide, compared with fixed boards.
The fixed ones hang down lower and when I had my 2019 they did make contact with the ground a few times, nothing crazy and no damage in my case but they did make contact where the fold up boards don't hang down. I did like the fixed running boards though.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fixed ones hang down lower and when I had my 2019 they did make contact with the ground a few times, nothing crazy and no damage in my case but they did make contact where the fold up boards don't hang down. I did like the fixed running boards though.

You remind me that I had an exactly same situation when I was driving a rental expedition xlt on the Long Canyon trail of Moab area. A rock scratched the bottom of the right running board with loud sound. I immediately stopped the vehicle and checked. Nothing serious, and it was even hard to see the very small scratch if I didn't know something actually happened.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I have hit things in moab as well as when dipping through mud holes. Mud does a number to that felt under engine guard thing. I really should get skid plates.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Well, going over a washed out culvert will tell you instantly if you have a fixed or retractable running board

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My passenger side power running board is a pain in the ass. It seizes up from grime and dirt. Now it's seizing up due to the cold. This current cold snap (-45c / -49f) has seen it freeze in the open position. The drivers side however never skips a beat.

This is the video I used on YouTube. Ever since I did that, it goes up and down like that's it's actual job... which it is. Expedition sat outside in -35c yesterday all afternoon, and the board flew down when I opened the door.

Didn't use the Mopar spray - just an entire can of WD40, and an entire can of Fluid Film. You have to force the board up and down with your hands to free it up and work the fluids in. I must have opened and closed the door 200 times. Whole cans of spray. No half measures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett