2012 Expdtn XLT radio & instr cluster switching on/off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randal

Reaction score
I've read some of the threads on similar problems on other year models but would like help on what to check first. Front windows were very slow back in August '19 when we bought our Expdn and now don't work but I don't think it's related.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be completely off but first thing that comes to mind is a loose ground wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Randal

Randal

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm new to doing electrical work except changing fuses and bulbs. Any pointers on what places to start looking for a loose ground? (I have an old V ohm amp multimeter; probably need to upgrade.)

OP
OP
Randal

Randal

Reaction score
Just updating my above post.

Window problems - A bad window regulator on front passenger window. Replaced with one from junk yard. Driver side window regulator was replaced earlier by a mechanic shop. I shoulda-woulda-coulda brought it back to mechanic when it first started acting up - I thought he fixed the passenger side but he fixed the driver side. Mechanic didn't tighten the clamps that hold the glass to the regulator properly because the glass slipped out of the regulator clamps (window stayed up, regulator went down). I messed with the switch before I knew the problem and got the glass to drop down (very bad). It took my wife and I at least an hour to get the window back up with busted knuckles and me humiliated. Also in process broke the new regulator plastic thingys. Maybe mechanic would have given some free labor but I was too ashamed now to bring back. Bought a new regulator for $100 and somehow replaced successfully. Success is due to YouTube video from "FordMakeuLoco" guy who has a great video on window regulator replacement. 97 in-lbs on the window glass clamps and clean glass per video worked great. I used a gallon of water to get the right torque (97 in-lbs / 8.3 lbs gave me the radius my wrench had to be in inches) because I was too stingy to rent one from AutoZone.

As for the real reason of this thread, I tried to buy a Ford Shop Manual online for $30 and got scammed and probably nearly got my computer hacked (DON'T GO HERE - XXXhttps://www.fordservicerepairworkshop.comXXX). Next I spent oodles of time looking for wiring schematics for free online and trying to get educated on the system. I will check out link below and probably go to JustAnswer.com for help.

If anyone has a wiring diagram(s) for instrument cluster on 3rd Gen Expedition, I would like to get it.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/instrument-cluster-blackout.26650/

My lesson learned from my experience - say a short prayer first, don't rush, keep asking for help.
Y'all are all helpful on this forum - many blessings to you!

OP
OP
Randal

Randal

Reaction score
I finally replaced the Accessory Delay Relay. The clicking noise stopped and it seems only the radio goes on and off now. I still need to check for loose ground wires. Something is making screeching noise at start up occasionally. I read on another post that someone had a short in the ignition switch "melting" the starter insides. Wonder if related. Taking it to a mechanic to see what they can find.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a new regulator online for $45 and free shipping and with the help of U-tube I put it in the passenger door but it would go up and then down 3" so I programed it and now it's been fine for 6 months. They were either afraid to tighten those 2 bottom clamps on yours or forgot about it.