Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your vehicle model year is 2022 and prior? I checked Forscan website, they do not support 2023 and 2024 yet. By the way, if dealership could be aware of what you did, will your transmission warranty be voided?
You can perform it manually. I've taken mine in for warranty service, as well as I do my own maintenance, and have never had an issue.

BrianDA

Reaction score
My '10 F-150 got a new 10 speed tranny & cooler at 1500 miles under warranty. The second one is still clunky and unpredictable, but now has over 60K and doing fine. My '22 Expy 10 speed is as smooth as silk.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: the jerky action is gone today. I guess the tranny is adapted to my driving style eventually. 87 octane gas, 61F ambient temp and light rain.

omandave

Reaction score
My 2019 expedition limited is getting a new transmission... We bought it used at 115k miles. We included a 4year extended warranty, 3rd party because we bought it at a Chevy dealership. Warranty covers all but the $200 deductible. New transmission, at a local transmission shop is $8000. That is in the Puget Sound, in Washington State.
Total time without vehicle is estimated at 2full weeks. (Took it in on Monday this week, new transmission is due to shop this Monday, completion should be Friday, week from today.)

I used to scoff at extended warranties... Now I'm grateful. This one item paid for the warranty and I get a 2year unlimited mileage warranty on the new transmission plus the remaining 3 years of extended warranty coverage for the remainder of the contract.
I plan to add an auxiliary transmission cooler to help protect this new transmission.

Cheers and good luck/success with your 2020!

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Transmission clunked serious only once when shifting from gear 3 up to gear 4 on local road. It seems the transmission doesn't know what gear it should go with. Then it works normal again like silk smooth. 87 octane gas, ambient temperature 74F and clear sky.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Update: Transmission clunked serious only once when shifting from gear 3 up to gear 4 on local road. It seems the transmission doesn't know what gear it should go with. Then it works normal again like silk smooth. 87 octane gas, ambient temperature 74F and clear sky.
Uuh, so it is bad shift logic/tuning I assume. Thank you for keeping us updated, what are you planning to do next since the software relearn doesn't solve the problem long term?

slow3v

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I've had 4x 10R80 F-150s. 3x 2.7L and a 3.5L PB Hybrid. We bought a CPO Expedition in 2023 and it had ~55k miles on it. It is and still was the smoothest 10R80 I've ever had. I had the CDF drum and valvebody replaced due to a big delay going into R, but other than that, it STILL is the smoothest shifting 10R80 I've ever had.

I'm shocked to hear otherwise from other people. Blows me away honestly. The freakin' thing is sewing machine silky smooth.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines would do an odd shift where it felt like it would get stuck in neutral for a hlf second, then slam into gear, like the computer couldnt decide what gear to go into. Sometimes, it would do some weird low speed shifts from 2 - 5 and down. It would also make a clunk noise during some shifts. When i took it to the dealer, i made a mention of this to them. They reflashed the tranny pcm. The dealer charged me for it because they said they couldn't feel a clunk or odd shift so didnt want to tell the warranty company to cover it. BS! They declined to mention they were going to charge me for the fix until after they gave me my truck back. Anyway, right now, the transmission is creamy with the shifts, nothing odd yet. It's still in the learning phase, so hopefully it can improve the shift feel. I'm trying to get it to learn in all the drive modes I use it in by changing the modes everytime i drive it, so hopefully it's smooth in all modes.
A week later...good feeling gone. It's still smooth but the odd hard low speed shifting is back

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uuh, so it is bad shift logic/tuning I assume. Thank you for keeping us updated, what are you planning to do next since the software relearn doesn't solve the problem long term?

First, the tranny works fine for most of the time. So, I doubt dealer is able to replicate the scenario. Second of all, if re-learn doesn't work, I have to negotiate with dealer to check valve body. Other than that, there is really nothing else I can do. Anyway, I have 9 years/125K premium ESP to wait it out.

manuelb

Reaction score
I recently learned about a TSB for rough shifting 10 speeds. Our 2020 had always been rough since we bought it new 50,000km ago at the end of 2019. A lot of people say it's just how it is, so we just grinned when it occasionally clunks and jerks, until I read about stories on this forum that a transmission swap would cost $9000 outside of warranty from @The Yeti :
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...ement-and-or-harsh-delayed-shift.54334/page-3

The rough shifts only happen at lower speeds, either when the transmission downshifts coasting to a stop, or when gently accelerating from slow speeds it would clunk down to a lower gear. We've not had any neutral-out situation or any codes YET, but the shifts you can definitely feel, more or less sometimes. I didn't pay attention to what gear it was in when the clunks happen, but it happened at speeds between 20 km/h to 50 km/h at light throttle or no throttle when coasting.

The thing is, our Powertrain Warranty runs out in less than a year, so if the tranny acts up and started throwing codes right after the end of this year, it would be too late and we will have to pay $9000 to replace or $5700 to rebuild with the new CDF drum. But the other side of me thinks that I have already dealt with these rough shifts for 4 years already, so might as well not mess with it when it only occasionally annoys me. Still, I don't think it would hurt to bring it in while the Powertrain Warranty is still valid, right? The tranny is the only thing that really, really annoys me with the Expy.

Should I bring it in, or should I not mess with it?
Do you think the dealer would go ahead with the TSB, or is occasional "rough shifting" not enough of a symptom for them to continue the service bulletin?
Anyone have a "rough shifting" high mileage Expy with zero problems so far?
If so, has it gotten worse over time?
Lastly, has anyone gotten a smooth shifting 10 speed, especially after the CDF drum was done?
Keep in mind, I'm really shooked after learning that a tranny swap is 9k and that my Powertrain Warranty is expiring in less than a year. Any opinion would be really appreciated, thanks you all!

I also have a 2020 Ford and I am having problems with the transmission, from 20 to 40 mph it takes a long time to make the changes and I have to press the pedal lightly because if not it makes a very ugly noise in the transmission, after that speed passes it revs better but not perfect, if I put it in sport mode the transmission slips the changes and it is terrible if I put it in eco too, but if I put it in normal mode the changes are better, apart from that the transmission heats up when I use sport mode, Even though I'm looking for someone who has the same problem and has solved it, I don't know what the best solution would be. A mechanic told me that the valve body needs to be changed, another tells me that the scanner shows P076E-00 and he told me that the selenoid had to be changed but he couldn't tell me which selenoid, I'm desperate because I work with that car, yes Can anyone tell me what I can do, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire