Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
@manuelb There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford for this issue which affected many Expeditions. Since you have a 2020 like mine with 1 year of powertrain warranty left, I think you should bring it in to the dealer before warranty expires. According to the TSB, they have to do a software reprogram first. If the problem is not resolved, they will have to replace the valve body. If the bad shifts are still not gone, they have to drop the transmission to replace the CDF drum (big job). All these service steps should be free, because you still have the powertrain warranty from Ford. Make sure to print out the TSB below and show it to the dealer as well. Good luck.

Attachments

• TSB 23-2250 - 2018-2023 Expedition & Navigator - Harsh-Delayed Engagement and-or Harsh-Delayed...pdf
    804.9 KB · Views: 15

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '23 RARELY experiences a "clunk". So far I'm pretty lucky with my 10sp. But I only have 8,600 miles on it.

mparks

Reaction score
@manuelb There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford for this issue which affected many Expeditions. Since you have a 2020 like mine with 1 year of powertrain warranty left, I think you should bring it in to the dealer before warranty expires. According to the TSB, they have to do a software reprogram first. If the problem is not resolved, they will have to replace the valve body. If the bad shifts are still not gone, they have to drop the transmission to replace the CDF drum (big job). All these service steps should be free, because you still have the powertrain warranty from Ford. Make sure to print out the TSB below and show it to the dealer as well. Good luck.
Yes this is what they had to do to my 2019 with 57k miles. They had to replace the cdf drum. The software fix didn’t help

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Just turned 55K on mine. It's always been smooth. Never feel it shift. That being said, on two occasions recently, it seemed hung up in 5th and then it went to 7th. The other day going up a grade, it needed to down shift, and it just wouldn't. I don't know if that's "normal", or the beginning of the end.
Had same intermittent little bumps in shifting between 3&5 and5&7on my 2019 Platinum . Dealer re-set and reprogrammed transmission when fixing cam phasers and it’s silky smooth now. All this 3 weeks before my warranty expired. re-setting my help as transmission learns your driving style

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition, and definitely experienced the hard upshifting and downshifting in the 3-4-5 gears at low speeds and light throttle. Speeds around 15-30 mph. It happened often when driving through neighborhoods. I took it in under warranty and they reprogrammed it according to TSB 22-2139 (4/21/22). There probably is a newer TSB now. The reprogramming worked, I was shocked! They didn't have to do any physical repairs to the transmission. It's been shifting smoothly for two years now.
Exactly same experience here

bigboi66

Reaction score
I've had this issue initially when I bought my 2020 limited about a year ago. It has been in and out more times than not with the shop greasing bearings and odd and end fixes. Eventually they swapped the tranny out. All was good for a few months and now I have the clunking and rough low gear shifting issues. 75k miles and local town driving, so it is noticeably annoying. Gear shifting was low speeds between 3rd to 5th gears. The p to R or D to R is still a thing but as stated on when not warmed up. I have a flat garage and everyday 2x a day or more this happens. It cannot be normal as I test drove many others that did not have this issue. Same years and miles and older and newer ones. It is an issue and I would have them look at it and go through their checks. Don't know if there is a bad batch of transmissions or not but it should not happen if all of them do not do it.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No trouble with mine (knock on wood) '21 FX4 with max towing and 3.73 gearing that I think helps the 10 speed out when accelerating. Shifts smooth as butter even when towing our camper.

bigboi66

Reaction score
No trouble with mine (knock on wood) '21 FX4 with max towing and 3.73 gearing that I think helps the 10 speed out when accelerating. Shifts smooth as butter even when towing our camper.
Heard that's true as well.. my mess up when buying. Also any super duty. But all others.... No good...

manuelb

Reaction score
called Ford and I told him what was happening to my car with the transmission and I told him that I wanted to reprogram the transmission with the scanner to see if it improved, the Ford mechanic told me that those faults could not be fixed with the computer, He told me that if I did that he was going to give the money away.

I don't know who to believe anymore, I know that the advice comes with good intentions but look at what the Ford mechanic tells me, as many here say, that 10r80 transmission is garbage.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like Ford and GM who were both in on the 10 speed design screwed up somewhat!! Both are having 10 speed woes.. :(

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire