2012 expedition 2wd to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done this to both an F150 (1980) and an Explorer (1998 model year)

Both times sucked, the F truck, I nickel and dimes all the stuff I needed to get and swore to all the god and angels I'd never convert another 2wd anything....

Then a coupla years ago I came across a minty fresh Exploder. Me and a buddy did a full on swap of the entire driveline (5.0, AWD converted to real part time 4x4 via truck T-case), and after that I will NEVER effing do it again. If you're dead set on it, make sure you have a complete donor truck for all the driveline/suspension stuff. Even then, it's gonna be a job.

And I know I guy converted both his Excursion AND his superduty F truck to 4x4....but then he has a lift and and heated pole barn so.....

It's an experience. You'll question your decision about 1/3 of the way in. (just buy a 4x4 and drive it....trust me bro)

OP
OP
2012lI

2012lI

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was actually planning on doing an oem conversion from a donor truck, i've read somewhere that it was pretty much bolt on. But since everyone is advising me not to do it ‍...
I am still waiting for the parts list and from there i'll decide if i go for it or not :)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4WD Expeditions have a different wiring harness, vacuum hub system with reservoir, solenoid, hubs, check valve, front CV axles, differential, driveshaft, transfer case, switch and harness, 4 Wheel traction control (requires more wiring harness and different yaw sensor and Tc module I believe. This may be PCM driven so it may be a different PCM all together. Would have to check into that not sure. Also would need the 4WD version of the 6R80 made for the transfer case.

Big thing is 4WD Expeditions have 4 wheel traction control to assist the 4WD and 2WD ones don’t have that. That’s a mess of wires and a lot of computer stuff. Sounds daunting, doable I’m sure with enough money and time. I don’t think id personally attempt.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the one you have, looks very nice & get a 4x4 for fun. My 4x4 truck gets broken all the time having fun. Still have my Expy to run around since I', not as hard on it.

OP
OP
2012lI

2012lI

Reaction score
Thanks @JExpedition07 that really helps, i guess i will not do the conversion then. I wanted to do it if it was really bolt on parts change but seems like too much work.

@riphip I already have a Jeep Cherokee that i take offroad, but i have a big family and we are more than 5 so we take both the cars when we go camping to the desert. I park the expedition at the nearest road or gravel road and bring the stuff in 2 trips with the jeep, i wanted to have a second 4wd truck just to get to the camp in one trip or in case i don't have the jeep with me.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are Expeditions pretty common over there? I live in a pretty rural area here, the closest town is about 4400, and I typically see one or two expo's every time I go to town...

Middle of literal nowhere, farm and cattle, mostly. I guess they made a lot of Expeditions, many as I see around lol

OP
OP
2012lI

2012lI

Reaction score
They are not extremely popular, they are not rare but you see way more toyota, nissan and gm in full size suv than fords. F series and other ford models are very popular but for some reason not the expedition

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are not extremely popular, they are not rare but you see way more toyota, nissan and gm in full size suv than fords. F series and other ford models are very popular but for some reason not the expedition
Navigator is even more rare, I have the only gen 3 in this town. pop 4k

Bunky

Reaction score
Loqmane, you say you have a working donor car. I think it would be easier to move all the body parts, seats, and cabin panels from your 2WD to the 4WD donor.

If you try to mod your 2WD into a 4WD, I think you will end up with two donor Xpys and no drivable vehicle.