2012 expedition 2wd to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2012lI

2012lI

Reaction score
I did not say i had a donor, i can easily get a donor car from the junkyard

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When we did that Explorer, we had a complete and running donor vehicle of the same year, and it still sucked. On the donor since it was a rusty hulk, we ended up taking the body off to simplify the driveline removal. (it was afterwards section up and thrown in the scrap pile.

I had suggested swapping the good body onto the V8 frame but after a thorough exam found the rear of the frame rusted so thus commenced the full V8 and drivetrain swap in the previously 4.0 powered Exploder.

We labeled everything and took our time, and it didn't hurt that both of us had done engine swaps and conversions in Mustangs and Thunderbirds so we had some familiarity.

I won't do it again though. It's stressful. Doing a 2 to 4wd conversion probably isn't as involved, then again, nearly everything on vehicles these days is electronic, and I too feel that if you were to start on it you'd have a hell of a time with it.

OP
OP
2012lI

2012lI

Reaction score
Hi everyone !
I wanted to revive this thread to say that I finally found the exact same Expedition but in 4wd.
I am starting an overland build on it, bunch of parts bought and getting assembled this week

I will start another thread because I have questions about gear ratio and lsd