2012 Expedition Coolant Crossover Manifold Leak Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gleebit

Reaction score
Hi,
Since I think I have a coolant crossover gasket leak on my 2012 Expedition 5.4L, I've been researching the issue. I see lots of chatter about the need to remove the intake manifold with the crossover attached because the intake has a platform out front that holds the crossover (and it bolts together from underneath). However, I am looking at my 2012, and I can clearly see that the crossover is directly bolted down to the heads, with a gasket between. It doesn't seem to have the plastic intake platform coming out to support the crossover. I am also looking at the intake manifold pictures of a new OEM part, and it also doesn't seem to show that additional plastic. Ford 9L3Z9424H (https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-intake-manifold-9l3z9424h)

Could it be that I don't have to remove the intake manifold in order to remove the crossover? The only issue I see is that there is a single plastic tab and bolt that hangs over the passenger side of the crossover manifold. I am hoping that after removing that bolt, the crossover will slide out from under it? Can anyone clarify? Did Ford resolve this issue around 2012?

Thank you!