2012 Expedition XLT EL 4X4 - What's the best remanufactured 5.4 3v?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orthopro

Reaction score
104k on my 5.4 3v and my cams are worn, so it's not even up for debate. Remanufactured engine or parts queen.

Minus Jasper, who do you recommend?

Labor wise - what's a fair price to have a shop take the old motor out, and put the remanufactured one in?

James

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cams are hardened steel, normally either the cam tower caps wear or the rockers wear. If the cam wiped it was ran without oil or in a severe oil starving condition that was ignored for a long time. Usually the people who ignore the startup rattles and knocks end up here.

OP
OP
O

orthopro

Reaction score
Took it to the shop and yes cam journals are fried and cam lobes are worn badly.

Purchased vehicle at auction for $900.

The remaining vehicle in in excellent condition. Worth putting in a remanufactured motor.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to the shop and yes cam journals are fried and cam lobes are worn badly.

The remaining vehicle in in excellent condition. Worth putting in a remanufactured motor.
That should be new heads, cams, and full timing job. Still cheaper and easier than pulling and replacing the engine. Is there something wrong with the block itself? That’s when I’d consider a replacement engine.

Brons2

Reaction score

Had a similar circumstance arise a while back. I looked at an Expedition EL Eddie Bauer with 151K that idled really rough when I went to test drive it, and the MIL came on. The selling dealer said they'd take a look at it. They called me a couple of days later and said they were sending it back to auction. I kind of regret not making a lowball offer for it and putting a reman engine in, because the rest of the car was so pristine, and it didn't have a sunroof, which I prefer not to have. The Navigator I ended up purchasing does have a sunroof and I have to recline my seat more than I would otherwise like to in order to keep my head from rubbing. I'm 6'7".