2012 limited air suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowLimited

Reaction score
My 2012 limited is loaded to the gills with every option.

Question is how do I know if my truck should have rear air suspension or if it was taken off by the previous owner. I was looking at the original 2012 Ford Expedition limited brochure and it states that it is an option on the 2012 limited but if the vehicle has the 301A pack that it should have Sunroof, power running boards, and rear self leveling air. (My limited has the power running boards, and the sunroof, nav, 4x4, etc.) I crawled under the truck today and to my surprise there is only coil springs and struts.

Like I said before this truck has it all so I’m very curious as how to find out if it should have came with it. What else on the truck can I look for that would tell me it had it before?

Thanks in advance!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are there air lines running into the rear struts? in other words, are they "oversized"?
my old '97 has front air shocks (struts) and rear bags plus a separate shock absorber.
Compressor? mine is located on passenger side engine compartment in front of battery on recess. do you hear a compressor run if you just turn the key? there are also solenoids which open/close when air is supplied, and when turned off. you would notice a height difference.
also, there should be a toggle switch on (mine) by the passenger side kickboard in cabin to deactivate the system.

*Note: several generation differences here thus things might be located in different locations.
Let us know what you find.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You cannot have air suspension without the sunroof, etc (301A) but you can have the 301A package without air suspension.

You can set up an account on www.etis.ford.com and look up your build sheet, or you can message me your VIN and I can look it up for you.

Ronnie_hud

Reaction score
don’t want to have to swap out for coils.

Rear suspension appears to be at MAX height and the “Check Air Ride” light on the dash, but no actual codes. Truck has NOT been jacked up/lifted with a jack, totally stock with stock rims/tires.

Turned air ride off; didn’t lower at all. Checked fuses; all good. Checked lines; all good. Can’t get the compressor to cycle (haven’t started jumping wires to force it yet). Disconnected battery to clear system. Suggestions how I manually deflate the bags?

Advice on what to check/test.