2012 Sluggish Acceleration - Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoachSpurg

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition Limited 2WD that just had a very late oil change. It started a ticking noise on Saturday and after my oil change with 100% Syn oil, it still ticks and now is sluggish on acceleration. When trying to accelerate is seems to not bog, but just delay when depressing the gas pedal. And if I hard accelerate the RPMS jump up to 3500-4000 before shifting. Please help!

OP
OP
C

CoachSpurg

Reaction score
Sorry. 98,000. Has not had a tune up lately. In the process of that now. No engine light warnings. Can't pull any codes. Just wanted to make sure to do that first.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd assume if you were delayed in changing the oil, then the air filter hasn't been done either?

OP
OP
C

CoachSpurg

Reaction score
Correct. But the air filter is not that bad off. Oil was very dirty. Talked with someone else and advised me that it was a lifter making the noise. I did another oil change with more 5w-20 syn oil. Still have the same issues. Ticking noise (loudest on the passenger side) and sluggish acceleration. How do I determine if a coil has gone bad without any codes??

Not happy that my wife let this go as long as it did. I guess I should have done it myself like I did this weekend, but concerned that it too little too late.

Second oil change still was dirty oil change. I did do a "Motor Flush" with this oil change.

Really concerned! Any help will be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the problem with fords computer is it takes a long time of a misfire before it will throw a code. you need someone with a scanner that can monitor things.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticking noise: they all tick, especially with higher mileage. Some worse than others.

With 98K miles, I would:
1. change spark plugs
2. replace coil packs
3. clean mass air flow sensor
4. oil change (which you've done). Use the recommended weight..don't use something different to try and mask the ticking noise. And DO NOT use motor flush unless it's a last ditch effort before you tear it down. Cam timing is controlled using oil pressure and the components are designed for a specific weight. This could be why it's running sluggish.
5. Change the air filter
6. Drain the transmission and change the filter. Do not flush it at the 'quick change oil place'. Just drain it...no flush.

You should be ready for another 100K (not including oil changes)

After all that, then if it's still not running correctly at least it's easier to diagnose. You need all these things anyway, even if it was running correctly. And the ticking noise? Just turn up the radio :)

Thanks

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check all spark plugs first for looseness then clean the MAF sensor with a suitable cleaner. If still ticking, use an automotive stethoscope to locate the noise.