2012 w 150k on it. Engine or Transmission Sputtering around 45-55 uphill under load?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Buy the $10 China coils and you'll be chasing the problems from one plug to another for as along as you own the truck. Change the plugs first. If a problem persists, find out which cylinder has the problem and diagnose it.

Switch the problem coil with another cylinder and see if the problem follows it. If it does, replace that one with an OEM Motorcraft coil. If it's not the coil, check the connector, the injector then do a compression test.

Unlikely to be anything more than the plug. Perhaps a coil. Basic stuff, my friend. Always feels like the tranny when they start missing at speed.

Oh yes, when you buy plugs stay away from the Amazon counterfeits or the parts chain Torque-pro or other creepy brands of junk. Buy Motorcraft plugs.

Last edited:

CowboyPilot79

Reaction score
Never replaced coils before, but why are some 8 packs around $60 on Amazon and then I look at Autozone and they are $260? Such a huge price difference.I was curious. I plan on doing the plugs
Because the Amazon ones are knock-offs that will last about 150-200 miles, ask me how I know. They end up costing $320 after you waste the $60 on the Amazon ones then have to go buy the expensive ones anyway [emoji1787]. RockAuto had better pricing than Amazon that's where I ended up getting my good ones.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rubber boots and springs should always be changed along with new plugs.

Only if you continue to misfire should you change the coils. I would avoid cheap coils.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rubber boots and springs should always be changed along with new plugs.

Only if you continue to misfire should you change the coils. I would avoid cheap coils.

I don't agree, if the boots are in good shape use them over and just replace the bad coil if needed, not all of them.

Aggiesrok

Reaction score
My vehicle had 150k plus miles. Threw a code for a coil and then threw a code for another coil after replacing the other. It was cheaper to buy a whole set of coils than 2 or 3 and keep replacing. I replaced them all and the plugs and have had no problems since. I’m in Texas and the heat does terrible things to coil packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't agree, if the boots are in good shape use them over and just replace the bad coil if needed, not all of them.
I disagree. The boots are impossible to inspect and any tracking is going to be microscopic when it starts. It only needs to punch through the rubber at one spot. Boots are cheap. It is silly not to replace them, and silly to shotgun a $60 COP or a set of cheap knockoffs.

I have been rotating into service "bad" OEM coils the dealer changed out and they are fine. The problems follow old boots.

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
Spark plugs seemed to be the source of the problem. Car is running with a lot more power and haven't noticed the "slippage" . Wonder how the dealer was able to convince Ford to replace all that transmission stuff. Think it was 2k if I hadn't had the warranty.
Unfortunately, one spark plug would not come off and added an extra 2 hours to no avail. Guess which one (furthest back on driver's side). Trying to get camera, light etc was next to impossible to get a clean look. It just wouldn't grip no matter what we tried. That one is a monster to get to. I saw some guy on YouTube using Epoxy Putty in a socket and got it out?
Should I just leave it? I'm afraid of breaking it and then I'm in real trouble. I think these were original. They were extremely worn.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disagree. The boots are impossible to inspect and any tracking is going to be microscopic when it starts. It only needs to punch through the rubber at one spot. Boots are cheap. It is silly not to replace them, and silly to shotgun a $60 COP or a set of cheap knockoffs.

I have been rotating into service "bad" OEM coils the dealer changed out and they are fine. The problems follow old boots.

My Excursion had 2000+ miles on the 0em coils when I sold it and I carried a good used one but never needed it. People blow too much money on things hoping it helps something ?????? I don't get it.