2012 w 150k on it. Engine or Transmission Sputtering around 45-55 uphill under load?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio JEA

Reaction score
I agree with Trainmaster. Change the plugs, ignition coils if necessary. Prior to my current 2012 EXP I had a 2007 with 94K that started doing exactly what you described. Unfortunately, it happened while I was out of town and my wife took it to the dealer. They were licking their chops when she got there. Before I could say "hold on there a minute..." dealer had done "transmission test" (whatever that was) and deduced that it needed new plugs, wires, ignition coils, the whole enchilada for the modest price of $1,400. Never again trusted that dealer, and never went back there. My current ride is 2012 with 123K and it runs like a champ (except for a mysterious AC issue). I plan on changing plugs later this month. Of course, I don't plan on breaking them off (I hope).

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You can bet those plugs were never changed. If they were, that rear one wasn't. I would make it my mission to change it. That being said, I'd pull off the coil, blow out the well with compressed air and flood the well with penetrating oil (Kroil or WD40). I'd let it sit for a day or two, at least overnight.

I'd get whatever tool would do the job best. I have no trouble getting at that rear plug so with the right tool neither will you. I'd give it my best shot with the best American tool money will buy.

As bloodhound said, these are one-part plugs, so you shouldn't have any of the legendary problems the earlier ones offered. It'll come out.

CAKD07

Reaction score
Had the same issue on my '05. Change all the plugs, coils, and caps together at regular intervals to avoid the issue. Also read the code first to see what it says. Some say change the converters too as they only last about 100K.

Mark B

Reaction score
Spark plugs seemed to be the source of the problem. Car is running with a lot more power and haven't noticed the "slippage" . Wonder how the dealer was able to convince Ford to replace all that transmission stuff. Think it was 2k if I hadn't had the warranty.
Unfortunately, one spark plug would not come off and added an extra 2 hours to no avail. Guess which one (furthest back on driver's side). Trying to get camera, light etc was next to impossible to get a clean look. It just wouldn't grip no matter what we tried. That one is a monster to get to. I saw some guy on YouTube using Epoxy Putty in a socket and got it out?
Should I just leave it? I'm afraid of breaking it and then I'm in real trouble. I think these were original. They were extremely worn.
When you say "wouldn't grip" do you mean you cannot get the socket over the plug? If so then you probably would want to get a visual on what's in there not letting the socket over the plug. I found a good inspection camera on amazon. It was about $30, the brand was Nidage. The image quality is very satisfactory

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
Got the last one out. It had a lot of grit on the threads. Much more difficult to get out. Used my air compressor to blow it out and also some WD40 and got it to grip. I think it was the angle of my arm coming in in that tight spot. All 8 spark plugs are changed (I think for the first time) and the car is running much better.

James3336

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2012. Code was a P0403. Cylinder misfire. Seemed simple enough. I changed al 8 plugs. Same misfire occurred. 40 to 60 mph goes away over 65. Soooo I replaced all the coils. Guess what? Still have the same misfire. Any experienced advice?