2012 XL - p0456

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Got a CEL P-0456. Research tells me I have a leak in the evap system. Searched in this forum for the code and pretty much nothing comes up. Anyone dealt with this code? What are the common points to check regarding the code?

OP
OP
D

DeafBringer

Reaction score
I can't see how to edit the original post. Wanted to add "Resolved" to the title so people know when searching.

I got this issue resolved. Since there isn't anything about the code on the forum I figured I'd add my info and resolution.

The P-0456 code indicates a vacuum leak on the evap system. The two most common culprits are either the gas tank flap not sealing completely or the purge valve on the head becoming worn/defective. This is for the 5.4 3v and is a common issue from the f-150 forums. Both are an easy fix and test. It is recommended to service the fuel tank flap first and if that doesn't fix the issue, then look more closely at the purge valve.

For the fuel flap issue, here is a great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBL1ig9BEOY

I followed the video, cleared the code, and been driving for a while since with no re occurrence of the code. If it comes back again then I'll look more closely at the purge valve (4:21 in the same video).