2013 Expedition ticking and transmission whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbevs

Reaction score
Hello, I've read this forum since I bought this vehicle 2.5 years ago. 2013 XLT 5.4 2wd with 93k miles. I've only put <10k miles on it since I bought it, but after taking it on a 1500 mile trip 2 weeks ago a couple of issues have cropped up. Significant ticking on both sides of the engine, seems to be coming from the valve covers. It has seemed low on power since halfway through the trip. The transmission is whining singificantly in reverse, not much in drive. Whining corresponds to vehicle speed in reverse.

Oil has been changed often since I've had it, using 5w20 syn. Fresh oil change shortly before the trip. I have done minor vehicle repairs, water pumps, brakes and lines, etc. My question is if either of these symptoms are something I should be concerned about. I have not found a good mechanic since moving 1.5 years ago. I typically keep Rislone in my vehicles as I have had good luck with it in the past. I've done the same with this one.

Yes 6r80 has great reputation for reliability, but a new noise to me is concerning. This 3v had great reliability and power for the little I used it, but this ticking and seemingly less power/altered driveability has me concerned.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check all your fluids. What's the condition of the tranny fluid ? Should be bright red. Check the rear axle gear lube level. There is a TSB out to use 75w-140 gear oil in the rear axle. Make sure it has the LSD additive if you have a limited slip axle. ( H6 axle code ) . I would recommend using a 5w-30 synthetic oil and forgo the Rislone additive. You might end up putting the vehicle on a lift and having someone listen from underneath to isolate and pin point the noise. But less than 10k miles in 2 1/2 years it could be anything. That Expy sits a lot.