2013 Replacment Headlight Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRealMcL0VN

Reaction score
In my opinion the cutoff of the led is better than the silverstars. Even using the stock housing. Having the led aligned and the housing aligned properly makes a world of difference.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the halogens are the only Department of Transportation approved headlights that are legal for road use in these models with reflectors, another reason I went halogen. LED’s are not approved by the DOT for the poor cutoff and light scatter, to really switch you will need new assemblies with projectors.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also the halogens are the only Department of Transportation approved headlights that are legal for road use in these models with reflectors, another reason I went halogen. LED’s are not approved by the DOT for the poor cutoff and light scatter, to really switch you will need new assemblies with projectors.
With the H.I.Ds the only one that DOT approves is the stock bulbs also.

Greg0197

Reaction score
Could you possibly post a small dash cam footage of you approaching and passing a street sign?

Auxbeam, Hikari, and Aukee have waaay too much bleed (yes, they were rotated correctly).

IMO, gen 1 GTR Lighting Ultra had the best cutoff among LED bulbs for our housing, but you can't get them anymore. Gen 2 has an insane bleed on an acquaintance's 4Runner with the H13 housing, so never bought them to test out on the Expy.

If the Morimoto LED passes the bleed test then that would a great development!
I’ll try and get one tonight when I’m out and about.

I really like mine because I’m a fan of the hard/ice white look. I also replaced my fog lights with some JDM LEDS just so it didn’t look funny.
Greg

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a bunch of BS in some of these posts. Sounds like the doomsayers from COVID 19 threads.

I have DDM Tuning Saber 50W LED's in lows, highs and fogs. They work great and I've never been flashed by oncoming vehicles.

AzteCypher

Reaction score
The Spyder ones (with the projector low beam, and reflector HB) have a very nasty hotspot in the shape of a triangle that robs light from the outboard sides of the beam. Also, the only way you'd find the high beam on those Spyder style housings useful is when you shove a ~ 20,000LM LED bulb in them.

Before I invest in these, would you say these would have the same issue? Is there no way to correct it?

https://www.carid.com/2012-ford-exp...-bar-projector-led-headlights-2051133118.html

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I invest in these, would you say these would have the same issue? Is there no way to correct it?

https://www.carid.com/2012-ford-exp...-bar-projector-led-headlights-2051133118.html

That's a steaming pile of garbage. I found that one (mine had the chrome housing though) to be far inferior to the OEM housing. Don't waste your money on it. IIRC, I ended up putting EvoX-R 2.0 projectors in them to go with my Philips 85122+ bulbs.

That housing does make for a good base for an aftermarket projector retrofit though.

If you prefer halogens to HIDs AND you're good at haggling, then you should purchase a set of destroyed 2011-2013 era Ford Edge Halogen headlamps (with intact projectors) for $25-$35/lamp, and just retrofit those bi-halogen projectors into the housing you linked in your post. That way, not only will you get to rock the looks of that aforementioned housing, but you will also get to showoff unique looking lens on your projectors. See below:

p5Qt3hW.jpg

^^^ These projectors also perform much better than the ones that come with the housing.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Sealight leds in my reflector housings on the '17 and I'm very impressed with the cutoff and improvement with visibility. I couldn't be happier and they match the fogs perfectly. I usually like to play by the rules but not in this case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes