2014 EL Electrical Gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kafer79

Reaction score
First time posting. No results from forum search or Google.

I recently purchased ("as is") a 2014 EL with 140,000 miles that was a trade-in from a local dealer. I think I inherited a significant electrical gremlin from the prior owner.

The "Information Display" (odometer, trip meter) will occasionally cycle on and off accompanied by the clicking of a relay that sounds as if its below the instrument panel. This will last about 5 seconds during which time the turn signals will not work either (flashers ok).

If I turn off the engine and remove the key during one of these "episodes", the engine cranks in short bursts until I reinsert the key to the on-position.

Do I need a mechanic or an exorcist?

Appreciate any inputs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kafer79

Reaction score
NO IDEAS?

(2014 Expedition EL)

Update to my Post. The electrical issue persists and increasing in frequency. Here's a recap:

- The "Information Display" (odometer, trip meter) will cycle on and off accompanied by the clicking of two relays (I assume a relay) from below the instrument panel and from the fuse box near the passenger footwell. There appears to be no common factor that creates a condition for this anomaly. I can be at a dead stop or bouncing over rough road when it occurs.

- During this electrical cycling the following will not work (that I know of): turn signals, radio, power windows.

- Google search has yielded strange electrical anomalies with similar year F150s that were caused by a bad GEM (Generic Electronics Module)

I have no issue taking it to the Dealer but concerned they won't find anything due to the intermittent nature.

Any wild guesses?

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably is the GEM but you can take them apart and look for corrosion, etc. You can buy them from a wrecking yard if they have the same part numbers also.

OP
OP
K

Kafer79

Reaction score
Went to a Ford parts dept. The 2007-2014 Expeditions do NOT have a GEM (Generic Electronic Module). Instead they have a Smart Junction Box (SJB), also known as a Door Lock And Alarm Module (Part BL1Z-15604-B). Parts guy said this unit must be "flashed" if installing a new one.

Our F150 cousins have had problems with the SJB from a Google search. Have not seen any Expedition issues with this unit. I'm going crazy with the intermittent electrical outages.

Where is this thing and has anyone had to replace theirs?

sjb.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time posting. No results from forum search or Google.

I recently purchased ("as is") a 2014 EL with 140,000 miles that was a trade-in from a local dealer. I think I inherited a significant electrical gremlin from the prior owner.

The "Information Display" (odometer, trip meter) will occasionally cycle on and off accompanied by the clicking of a relay that sounds as if its below the instrument panel. This will last about 5 seconds during which time the turn signals will not work either (flashers ok).

If I turn off the engine and remove the key during one of these "episodes", the engine cranks in short bursts until I reinsert the key to the on-position.

Do I need a mechanic or an exorcist?

Appreciate any inputs.

Have you checked the battery terminal connectors and posts for corrosion and tightness?

Have you checked the battery to see if it is good - it may be swollen and/or have a bad cell?

A bad battery and/or connectors can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems.