2014 heater fan starting to work intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkmonday

Reaction score
Starting to get chilly here in the northeast. The past few days I've noticed my heater fan working sometimes and sometimes not. Got to get this figured out before it really gets cold. Where should I start?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blower motor control module. Under the dash by the glovebox. Check for melted wires while you're there.

OP
OP
blkmonday

blkmonday

Reaction score
I've heard the pigtail wiring harnesses are a known problem. I'll give it a look this afternoon and post results

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems to be the issue. New one from Motorcraft on the way 36 bucks on amazon. I'll post results after install. When I wiggle the connector the blower turns on and off. The connector is HOT as hell.

There seems to be a lot of posts regarding this problem and defect.

It amazes me that a major manufacturer of vehicles such as Ford couldn’t make a motor vehicle with a HVAC blower connector that was so poorly designed and prone to failure for so many years of vehicles.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was indeed the pigtail connector going to the fan. 4 wires spliced for the new connector. Easy instal, so far so good.
Did you use the 3U2Z-14S411-ZEA 4-pin connector from Pico on Amazon?

Mine is doing this too. :/

vincentrose

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2014 right after I bought it last year, I went ahead and replaced the connector and the Blower Motor Control Module (resistor) as they were both burnt out. Around $100 for both parts, both Motorcraft parts, total job took about an hour to do. Havent had a problem since!

cmc3

Reaction score
On my 2017 XLT, there is a connection on the passenger side below the dash. Wiggle it see if the problem can be duplicated. I had to replace the blower resistor and the end of the cable. But it fixed the problem.