2014 Limited Short Wheel Base versus EL towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaseus

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ford Expedition Limited.... short wheel base (non EL)

60K miles, new tires, etc.

We are looking at getting a Travel Trailer. I have a pretty good understanding of the practical and posted weight limits. And I plan on getting a good WDH/Equalizing hitch.

We are looking at TTs in the 27-29 foot range.

I see many posts of people pulling trailers in this length range, but it seems all the posters I see have the EL version of the Expedition. Mine is the short version.

Does anyone have experience with the shorter Expy pulling TTs in the 27-29 foot range?

Mostly flat driving, and never in a hurry when I tow.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth Ford rates them the same....I wouldn’t tow anything with my EL that my last standard wheelbase couldn’t either.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure how well the short wheelbase tows, but I can tell you my EL moves a bit when it's windy, or when trucks go by, while towing my 30 ft trailer. My recommendation would be to rent a trailer and try it out first.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I occasionally tow with 2013 normal and the trailer is around 28’. I would look more at making sure you have the HD tow package and rear differential gearing better than 3.31 (like I think 3.5 or 3.7ish).

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 2018 Outback 293 UBH with my 2003 Expedition. My trailer is 32'11" long. I have NEVER had one issue towing. I see alot of people say you should never tow anything over 26' with a Expedition or F150. I think they are nuts! I have a Prodigy Brake Controller and a Equalizer E4 hitch and it's been perfect, even in wind and on the highway. I never tow faster than 65 MPH either.

John Kohler

Reaction score
I think the wheelbase issue is overblown. I used to tow my 25' (28'10" overall length) with a Kia Borrego. The Borrego wheelbase is 5" shorter than the standard expy and I had no issues with sway. My camper does have the wide spaced axles that are supposed to limit sway...and make tight backing more difficult.

WoodrowUSMC

Reaction score
FYI.
I have a 2014 Expedition with HD towing package, 3.31 rear axle, and like yours it has 60K miles with new Michelin's. It weighs 6,300 lbs with full tank of gas and my 240 lbs. My trailer is a 2018 Passport 2890RL, Dry weight 5,650 lbs, Tongue weight 635 lbs, Overall length 33'3" and I have an Equal-I-Lizer hitch rated for 10,000 lbs. The Expedition and trailer total weight is 12,600 lbs. I pull it at 60 mph without any problems, only minimal to no sway when big trucks pass or in windy conditions and I average around 9 MPG. I have the factory brake controller set at 6.8 and have not had any problems stopping. I drive like a Grandpa and am good with cruising at only 60 mph though I have been know to go 65 mph when passing lol. I'm confident and comfortable with my Expedition and trailer combination. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Passport 2890RL.jpg

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
FYI.
I have a 2014 Expedition with HD towing package, 3.31 rear axle, and like yours it has 60K miles with new Michelin's. It weighs 6,300 lbs with full tank of gas and my 240 lbs. My trailer is a 2018 Passport 2890RL, Dry weight 5,650 lbs, Tongue weight 635 lbs, Overall length 33'3" and I have an Equal-I-Lizer hitch rated for 10,000 lbs. The Expedition and trailer total weight is 12,600 lbs. I pull it at 60 mph without any problems, only minimal to no sway when big trucks pass or in windy conditions and I average around 9 MPG. I have the factory brake controller set at 6.8 and have not had any problems stopping. I drive like a Grandpa and am good with cruising at only 60 mph though I have been know to go 65 mph when passing lol. I'm confident and comfortable with my Expedition and trailer combination. Good luck and I hope this helps.

View attachment 33678

How many washers are you using? I see some squat so i think you might get a little more stability and less waggle if you add a washer or two.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many washers are you using? I see some squat so i think you might get a little more stability and less waggle if you add a washer or two.

On my 2003 Expedition with my equalizer E4, my trailer has around 800 pounds tongue weight and I use 5 washers. I don't have air rear rear suspension either. It tows wonderful like that. But got a new TV so will have to readjust it come spring.... I bought a diesel Excursion