2014 Navigator Plug & Coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marathon John

Reaction score
My Navigator just went over 100K Running just OK but at times acceleration is not great until it gets rolling a bit. Anyway, looking for suggestions on replacing plugs and coils. Need make and model that will be good with out spending extra. Plan on keeping for another 100K. Thx.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont blame the coils. It is usually the plugs. 100K miles on OEM Ford plugs is a myth. At 45K mine were so worn a nickle >0.80, would pass through the gap. Be sure to change the rubber boots along with the plugs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Joe, I change my plugs every 30k miles. They start wearing form day one but the decrease in hp and mpg's aren't noticeable.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plus are cheaper than coilpacks if you're just gonna shadetree it.

But if you do need to get coilpacks...motorcrafts are the way to go. Cheap shit is literally that..cheap shit. Especially since you want it to go another 100K.

Mine needs coil packs as well. I'm going to check the plugs tomorrow before I'm pulling the credit card out though. ;)

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The coils are not a service item and should last the life of the car. If changing plugs doesn't fix a miss, then check the coil and replace it with an OEM one. Listen to Thunderbird above.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here awhile back, I had a coolant hose burst on my Exploder, after I fixed that, I got the hose out, to wash some of the sticky crap off. I didn't saturate anything, just ran a quick squirt of water (line pressure, no nozzle or sprayer) over the inner fender, passenger side. Just a quick pass by with the hose, like.

After that, the coils went bad, had misfires, made the trans shift wonky, etc. Sprang for OEM coils (RockAuto will be your new best friend here) and now, once installed, no more issues.

The ones that went bad were some generic, 120 dollars for 8, no-name set that I got from a friend who had ordered them for his V8 Explorer (that he sold before ever putting them on)
So while cheap stuff will certainly work, I can assure I didn't get but maybe 15, 20 thousand miles out of them. When I did the first set of coils, (cheapos) I also put new plugs in.

Personal experience, nothing more, nothing less. I'd expect the same for an Expedition, engine wise, EcoBoost versions aside, it's functionally the same engine, 3v V8. There are different part numbers for coil packs between the 4.6 and the 5.4, I'm not sure what the difference is, but still....cheaper stuff just won't last.