2014 strut replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody has used Monroe coil over struts?

Avoid Monroe Quick-Strut replacements in my opinion. I used them on a Jeep Commander and the front deteriorated within 6 months (I'm being kind with that estimate). They were replaced under warranty and the experience wasn't any better.

I proactively replaced front and rear on the Expy using Ford OEM and they did no disappoint. The old shocks were in remarkably good condition and could have probably lasted another 15K-20K miles at least.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't take a chance on new springs, they could be to long, too stiff, etc. Plus new ones are a waste of money.

Reusing the factory springs may have made all the difference in your experience with those Monroe shocks. I cannot recommend their Quick-Strut assemblies.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the time has come for struts on my 2014. After researching the fronts it looks like I will pay to have them done...how hard are the rears to change? To save a few bucks i may attempt those myself if they are not to crazy. Havent decided on what brand to go with but it seems the Billsteins are on backorder so im considering KYB, Gabriel or Monroe...any pros and cons on those brands? Also thinking of adding a small lift so I can do larger tires next time around. Anyone do this to a 2014 and have suggestions and pics?

Depends on your level of mechanics and tools. It's a little tough to get to. I watched the rear replacement on YouTube and decided I didn't want to do it because I'd have to do it outside and get a few more tools. $140 installation. I bought some well rated Chinese coil over/struts. MOCA is the brand. My 2011has 200k on it so I wasn't about to pay big $$$. $133/pr on Amazon. Just had them done last week. Rear end was jumping left on bumps. Now its fine.

$273 total installed so if they fail earlier than a Monroe or biltsein, I'll just get them done again.

Greg S

Reaction score
I recently replaced the strut and spring assemblues on my 2016 Expedition EL (100K miles) with the KYB Strut-Plus assemblies. They have been on for about 2 months and love them so far. The original struts were really worn and the KYBs restored the ride to original. I decided to install the ReadyLift 3/2 lift and leveling kit on top of the KYBs and it made the ride height look awesome. I was able to fit 35" BFGs on with the lift too.

I previously installed the Monroe Quick Struts on a 2008 Expedition regular wheelbase that I used to have and they were pretty good too. Had them on for about a year and a half before I sold the truck and they seemed to hold up well.

Between the two, I would recommend the KYBs as they do a great job of restoring the ride quality pretty much to the original factory ride. I couldn't be happier with them, and my truck rides like new (not to mention the couple of inches of ride height that I gained).

As far as installation, I did it myself and it wasn't too hard. I have done this type of work twice before but am not an expert by any means. The ReadyLift website has a great video on how to install the lift, and in the course of doing so it shows how to remove the front and rear coil assemblies and reinstall them, so that video is useful even if you are not installing the lift since the same steps are followed (excluding the spacer installation). Took about 6 to 8 hours to replace all 4, was able to do it by myself with normal tools, but be sure you have 3 ton jack stands, a breaker bar to break the torque on some of the larger nuts and bolts, and 2 floor jacks (I have a 3 ton floor jack and used the spare tire jack from the truck as the second and that worked fine).

Hope that helps. Good luck!