2015-2017 4Runner vs Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan 13

Reaction score
im torn between the two. I like the 4Runner for the hauling aspects of it. But I feel like the expedition has a lot of room in it to haul things as well. I won’t be doing a ton of off-roading. I just want it to last and be reliable in the snow along with being able to fit things in the car if I need to haul something. Also something good on road trips with family. Just wondering why the expedition over the 4Runner. Thanks.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't the 4runner a lot smaller? I world think that would make up your mind right there.

Our 07 EB EL is a fantastic road trip vehicle. Many years it's done Maine to FL with 5 to 8 of us (and sometimes a dog or two) and never missed a beat. It also just got done moving our youngest back to PA from college in MA and let me tell you, she does not pack light!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can’t compare the two. Compare the 4Runner and the explorer if you wish. Compare the Expedition to the sequoia. I’m a toyota fan and have owned many of them over the years. They all took me to 300,000 miles with relatively few issues and none of them had any drivetrain issues whatsoever. Jury is still out for me as to whether the Expedition will treat me the same. Comfort wise, the Expedition just simply wins hands down. I really really enjoy driving my Expedition every day. I can’t say I enjoyed driving any of my Toyotas. For reference, I’ve owned two Camrys a Tacoma pickup, Land Cruiser, Tercel, and a Corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dwelch02

Reaction score
Yes the 4 Runners are significantly smaller. We had a 2016 4 Runner and when we found out we were due for our 2nd kid and I could not fit a rear facing car seat behind me (driver) and sit comfortable in the 4 runner, that was the ultimate decision to get a bigger vehicle. We now have two kids who are rear facing. We ended up selling it and getting a 2015 Expedition EL (we looked at Explorers, Suburbans, Yukons, etc.) and it has so much more room than the 4 Runner. It is amazing how much stuff we can fit in there, especially when the 3rd row is down. I can sit comfortably in driver seat and have a rear facing car seat behind me. We also have 2 dogs we take on occasion, so we are glad we got the EL in the end too. We figure the space behind with the 3rd row up is the same as the back of the 4 Runner (We did not have a 3rd row in the 4 Runner). So depending on your family size (if you have to deal with car seats and such) and how much stuff you have (Costco trips haha) I would look more into the Expedition. Having an actual 3rd row for more people to sit helps too. Another thing to consider is I felt like the 4 runner was completely gutless, even though it is rated for like 260 HP or something like that. But seriously felt like it could not get out of its own way, even my wife noticed it. I hated that from day 1 when we bought it new. Now driving a Ecoboost expedition, feel like we are in a rocket haha. The Expy also rides a lot smoother and quieter than the 4 Runner. As far as quality, never had an issue with the 4 runner in 2 years and the Expy seems to be good too from what I have read. Don't think you can go wrong either way in that area. The Expy gets about 1 mpg less than the 4 runner too. Not sure if you will need to use the vehcile to tow, but feel like the Expy will do better with that too.

We do miss the 4 runner for going to the dunes to get the family out on the sand, and up in the woods, snow etc though. It did awesome. We also loved the looks of the 4 runner too (not that the Expy looks bad) but our 4 Runner had a leveling kit, after market wheels and tires, blacked out emblems etc. and just looked good like that. We do miss that. The 4 Runner was very nimble on turning and fitting in tight places. Not sure how the Expy does in the snow and off road (if others may comment on that), but we arent going to take it up on fire roads in the mountains or out on the sand like we did with the 4 runner. Expy is lower, does not have the greatest off road tires on it right now and its Black! ha But will find out this winter with snowy/icy roads in town how the Expy does with the A4WD / 4WD.

In the end both are great rigs, I think the biggest factor is the room of the Expy and the power. So again depend on your family size/situation and what you ultimately want. We are very happy with the Expy and it was what we needed to fit our needs. If we could have we would have kept the 4Runner too! Sorry long reply but felt like we just dealt with same situation and can give you my honest opinion.

Last edited:

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I can't tell you a whole lot about the newer for runners I know the older ones are still sought after for four wheeling in SR-22 engine don't know how the newer ones with the V6 is and stuff too. Now for the Ford Expedition I have owned explorers before this is my first expedition. I like that it's based on a truck chassis I have an 07 Eddie Bauer with a 5.4 l V8 in it I have modified it a bit it's got to three and a half, two and a half leveling kit on it with 34 inch tires on it all train I was worried about it doing this modification for the simple fact that the expedition had such a nice smooth ride and it was quiet but even with all terrain tires on it and the left it hasn't changed a bit little stiffer ride but that's okay being at the Expedition is a heavy vehicle at tents to sway from side-to-side I think the side walls on the truck tires compensate for that quite well. I can tell you it's great in the snow greatness and it's great in the mud runs well gets really good gas mileage for a big vehicle on the highway I can get 17 and a half 18 miles to the gallon easy if I don't punch it a lot ask for hauling I have a standard size not that yell so with all three sets of seats up behind the third-row it's minimal I leave the Third Road seats down gives me enough room to haul anything I really need on a day-to-day basis if I decide I need to go get some wood or metal or anything like that I popped second row seats down and that makes it completely level rear section where I can easily all of 4 by 8 sheet of plywood being that it's on a truck chassis I could haul a lot more than that if I wanted to. I also told 6 by 10 utility trailer behind it all huge load of tools from Colorado to Texas and didn't even know it was back there I haul a 26 foot pontoon boat with a very large motor on it with no problem and I have done short halls with a 34 foot travel trailer that is extremely heavy pushing the limits of its towing capacities but hauling it with ease7c81d1d2e69b0a2d7677b08f51cddf0e.jpg59b47e42ed5ade1fa4f0d05df2d5e83f.jpg0fe32fcfd47c012280e299cf135612f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expedition does great in snow and some mud.... Control Trac is a good system

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bottom Line Magazine just recommend The Expedition as the #1 SUV if you plan on keeping it 200K+ miles. 4 runner was 2nd. (this was for the last model)

For 4 Runner think Tacoma Pickup ... Toyota Sequoia think Tundra Pickup

txracer16

Reaction score
You can’t go wrong with a Toyota. We have 2 kids and usually drive if we take a trip, this includes Houston to Chicago usually twice a year with the dog. We had a ‘03 Sequioa and really liked it. Unfortunately we lost it in Harvey at 180k and it was still going strong. We also have a ‘05 4Runner V8 4WD that we got from wife’s parents after Harvey and it has never had any issues and still going good. The back seat is small and no 3rd row so it’s usually just used in town and trips to the beach. Now the in laws have a ‘18 4Runner and it does have a little more room than the previous version and a 3rd row, but still doesn’t compare in room to an Expedition, especially the EL or new MAX.

With all that said we replaced the Sequioa with a ‘15 Expedition EL XLT with 50k on it. I absolutely love the Expedition as it is my daily driver. The ride and performance blow the Sequioa and the 4Runner away. The 3.5L Ecoboost is amazing, power, smooth, gets 17mpg in town, and did I mention the power! Yes I understand that it’s 12 years newer but it’s not just a mater of the newness, even going back to when the Sequioa was young, the Expedition is that much better. The ride, Power, Brakes (the Sequioa brakes suck), room. With the EL we can usually leave the 3rd row up and still get all of our stuff in the back. This makes it great on the long road trips with the kids and dog. It rolls down the highway so nice I actually find I’m not as tired on the long drives.

You really can’t go wrong with either one. Comes down to what you like. All I can say is we’ve had all 3 and if I had to start over today I’d go with an Expedition again. For what it’s worth, I’m also a Master Toyota and Ford technician and would still choose the Ford. Maintenance is key on any vehicle. Hope this helps.

Outwardbound

Reaction score
I have a 16' 4Runner Trail Edition and love it! And have been a Toyota guy my whole life. BUT, as others mentioned, when used for bigger tasks (Hauling (family/stuff), towing, it will struggle. I just pulled a 2600# trailer across country for a move (I am military) and while I have a mildly built 4Runner, it struggled. I had to drive in sport mode the entire time because the tranny just couldn't hack it It's awesome for what it is. We looked at sequioa's as well, love em; very reliable. However, fuel economy is terrible, and we liked the extra space behind the 3rd row in the EL; the Sequioa comes in one length, similar to regular WB expedition. Plus, you can't find one for less than $35/40K with less than 70-80K miles on it.

We just traded in a 14' Honda Odyssey for a 17' EL XLT with 202A package and 40K miles to carry around my wife, 3 girls (plus one on the way), and our "stuff". plus, a horse is in our future in the next 24-36 months so need something to pull a horse trailer.

Loving the Expedition so far!!