2015 Expedition Bilsteins installed - rear problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got the fronts installed just fine and am happy with how they feel. I didn't do the rears because I could tell that the stock shock is WAY bigger diameter than the Bilsteins that Stage 3 sent me that are supposed to be compatible. I have a hard time believing that the spring seat will sit firmly on these new rear shocks. Has anyone else installed the 24-285063-2 rears that Stage 3 has at
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2...5100-Rear-Strut-Assemblies-0-1-Lift-Pair.html ?

Also, is the spring perch on the stock shocks welded on or just pressed? These look like they are welded on, but it may just be an optical illusion and they'll press off. The fronts were not pressed on and knocked off with a light blow of the hammer.

View media item 7019
Mike

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The standard ones are not welded on they are pressed. Surprised with a 15 you were able to knock the fronts off. Mine front and rear were a beast to get off.

That looks weird compared to my standard rears.
I am guessing you have the self leveling nivomat struts which I do not believe are a straight swap for the Bilsteins.

The Nivomat spring perches May very well be welded on. I have never seen them in person but I am guessing that is what you have there and the Bilsteins are a no go.
I think they bolt in the same so you could buy a set of junkyard standard Coilovers swap the Bilsteins in those and just pull the Nivomat unit completely.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The standard ones are not welded on they are pressed. Surprised with a 15 you were able to knock the fronts off. Mine front and rear were a beast to get off.

That looks weird compared to my standard rears.
I am guessing you have the self leveling nivomat struts which I do not believe are a straight swap for the Bilsteins.

The Nivomat spring perches May very well be welded on. I have never seen them in person but I am guessing that is what you have there and the Bilsteins are a no go.
I think they bolt in the same so you could buy a set of junkyard standard Coilovers swap the Bilsteins in those and just pull the Nivomat unit completely.

Yeah the nivomat struts use a completely different spring than the standard ones. I swapped my standard struts for the nivomats and had to buy the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think these are self leveling. There is nothing going into them like air lines or whatever. It’s very strange. I’ll start looking for some stock rears at the junk yards to swap out.

Mike

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think these are self leveling. There is nothing going into them like air lines or whatever. It’s very strange. I’ll start looking for some stock rears at the junk yards to swap out.

Mike

The Nivomat style self leveling style struts are self contained. No external air or hydraulics.