2015 Expedition EL - Shutter/vibrate at 45-80 mph during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck_A-19

Reaction score
I had to take a road trip this past weekend and my 2015 EX EL (82,000 OD) started to shutter/vibrate briefly (while on cruise) each time it needed to increase speed. The shutter/vibration lasted for just a second each time. I took it off of cruise and it continued to do it. For a 600 mile drive boy was it annoying. I'm curious what I should be looking at or how to get this fixed. Does this sound like a misfire or something worse?

Thanks
Chuck

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Misfire, wheel balance, bad tire, universal joint... Probably one of those.

When were the plugs last changed? Look for pending codes with a good quality code reader.

Does the vibration clear up at higher speed? If it does, I'd check the wheel balance. Switch tires front to back and see if it changes.

If the spark plugs were never changed in 82K miles, I'd start there.

Good luck and welcome here!

OP
OP
C

Chuck_A-19

Reaction score
Thanks @Trainmaster. I don't think it's the tires, they were recently rotated/balanced. The shutter/vibration feels more like it's coming from the engine area and I feel it in the pedals. Again, it only last a second and only happens when acceleration is needed. Not sure the plugs have ever been changed actually. Supposed to be 100k plugs, but they probably need changing.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Transit with the 3.5 eco started randomly throwing a check engine light that would go back off after 3-4 restarts and rough idle after driving, especially if I never got above 3,000 rpm. it started after ~70,00 miles, I did the intercooler weep hole back in May and haven't had a single check engine light since. Occasionally there is still a bit of rough idle, but it's what I would consider normal v6 sputter.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to take a road trip this past weekend and my 2015 EX EL (82,000 OD) started to shutter/vibrate briefly (while on cruise) each time it needed to increase speed. The shutter/vibration lasted for just a second each time. I took it off of cruise and it continued to do it. For a 600 mile drive boy was it annoying. I'm curious what I should be looking at or how to get this fixed. Does this sound like a misfire or something worse?

Thanks
Chuck

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new. The transmission fluid and filter was changed at the dealer at 75,*** miles (not a flush). I have never towed with the vehicle - strictly passenger use.

At 91,*** miles - the vehicle began to shudder when I began to accelerate (while moving). Gentle acceleration - no “flooring” of the accelerator pedal.

I made an appointment at the dealer, which took 8 days for the first available. While the technician was driving the vehicle for an inspection, the transmission failed. He said their were numerous stored failure codes.

All of the issues began when the transmission began to shudder. It was intermittent and occurred at different speeds and roadway condition (level, uphill, etc.).

The technician also stated there was a stored trouble code for a #2 cylinder misfire - caused by a defective ignition coil (although there was no check-engine light on, or flashing).

I had replaced the original plugs at 45,*** miles. They were black and burnt, although I use top-tier fuel. I had the dealer replace the plugs again when they rebuilt the transmission. They also replaced the one bad coil.

I have a Ford Premium Extended Care service contract. The dealer initially told me they would replace the transmission with a new one as it was defective - but then Ford’s warranty department required them to rebuild the transmission instead of replacing it.

The repair took 51 days after the failure was diagnosed. The Ford parts system was unable or unwilling to provide the necessary parts in a timely manner to the dealer for repair.

Good luck.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a simple misfire, mine was bucking pretty good when I was in the mountains out west. I was finally able to get a code when I was towing my camper up grade around home. Cylinder one miss, ceramic was cracked on the plug.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plugs! That is all. Hopefully it is not the trans. The trans in the 15-17's is pretty solid.

You SHOULD NEVER go 100K for plugs in any EcoBoost or Turbo motor for that matter. Shouldn't even go 50K. I recommend 30K.

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
Changes the plugs. My last trip out to San Diego proved how bad the plugs were. Especially going through the hills on the edge of San Diego county. Mine actually threw the code for misfire, but not always. They plugs weren’t the original (truck had about 85-90k when this happened), so I changed them and haven’t had a problem since. The gaps on the old plugs were insane from wear.

OP
OP
C

Chuck_A-19

Reaction score
Changes the plugs. My last trip out to San Diego proved how bad the plugs were. Especially going through the hills on the edge of San Diego county. Mine actually threw the code for misfire, but not always. They plugs weren’t the original (truck had about 85-90k when this happened), so I changed them and haven’t had a problem since. The gaps on the old plugs were insane from wear.
Thanks, having a full blown tune up now, so I will report back in a couple of weeks after getting back from my trip.

OP
OP
C

Chuck_A-19

Reaction score
Plugs! That is all. Hopefully it is not the trans. The trans in the 15-17's is pretty solid.

You SHOULD NEVER go 100K for plugs in any EcoBoost or Turbo motor for that matter. Shouldn't even go 50K. I recommend 30K.
Thanks, having a full blown tune up now, so I will report back in a couple of weeks after getting back from my trip.