2015 Expedition XLT. Can it actually tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyOwner

Reaction score
We have a 2015 Expedition XLT with the tow package (trailer brake, increased fuel tank, heavy duty receiver). The towing capacity on the vehicle is rated at a staggering 9200lbs. The trailer we are looking at is 24foot mini lite and is about 5200lbs dry (with 1660 payload so 6800 loaded to a tilt). So we are well within what the vehicle can TOW

BUT.....payload (what the vehicle can CARRY on Expedition is only 1400 lbs???? How is that even possible being a 8 seater SUV? So myself, my wife, our 4 dogs, their crates, the 2 batteries for the trailer, the 2 propane tanks ,the hitch, and the tongue weight are well over that by about 200-250lbs. That's not including anything else. At all. Not even her purse. Can we even tow this small RV?

So...I talked to the salesman. He said with the proper weight distribution hitch we will tow it just fine. Had several truck driving buddies say the same. Had a hitch dealer say the payload sticker is usually 15-20% lower than what the truck can actually carry and we would be fine.
But when I spoke to Blue Ox, who manufactures the wdh, they said that wdh does not change anything about what your vehicle can actually CARRY, it helps with what it can TOW. Everyone talks about towing capacity, but the real number to look at is PAYLOAD. So I'm torn. We do have a friend who has same Expe and tows a 40' RV

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
You should be fine with that size trailer. I would try to load as much gear as possible in the trailer, above the axles to the extent possible to reduce the payload in the truck.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The short answer is yes it can tow, but you can't tow heavy while carrying several passengers, and all your belongings go in the trailer. If your tongue weight is high, drop a battery and propane tank, or replace with Lithium Iron Phosphate and travel with partially filled propane tank. Unless you're boondocking, you likely won't need all of them anyway. As you've noted, the Expedition is not limited by its tow rating, but by its payload. You'll be fine with that camper if you pack properly. Be sure to include the weight of the hitch in your numbers and visit a scale.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you asking if it can or if you should? My '11 w/ the V8 has carried over 2,200 lbs in the truck. Engine and trans remained well within safe limits. My biggest worry at the time was actually the tires. I don't make a habit of it, but I've probably exceeded the payload a dozen times since I have owned the truck.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2016 Expedition EL… I towed the wife’s 2018 Buick Encore on my car trailer stuffed with Xmas gifts, her at home office, and stuff her mom gave her this past January from Atlanta to Arizona.

Car is approximately 3240lbs. Trailer is approximately 1735lbs. The trucks third row was folded to hold more stuff… not sure of that weight. Plus two dogs, my wife, and myself.

The truck did absolutely fine. Had plenty of power (I’ve got a tune and Full Race Freak-O-Beast kit installed).

My only issue was the sag due to our lack of heavy duty leafs the pickup’s have. Ended up moving the car “slightly” rearward to raise the front of the trailer; thus raising the bumper. All this while still being able to keep the trailer leaf-spring shackles leveled’ish.

Also have an Apex 194BHS travel trailer weighing 3634lbs. Tow’s that thing like it isn’t even back there. With this setup I’ve got the anti-sway and weight distribution hitch. So, able to make the truck level’ish.

MAC1

Reaction score
My 2016 XLT w/HD Tow package rated at 9200Lbs, has towed my enclosed 24' aluminum ATC (3255lbs) loaded with car and tools at 7200LBS (all in) with 4 people and stuff loaded in back with no issues for 5 years. I did have to switch to a Pro Pride (Hensley) style hitch to make the whole package work; standard anti-sway hitch did not work well, too much sway with large truck traffic and wind.Expd Pic for Avavtar.jpg

Roindhouse

Reaction score
We have filled our 06 expy to the roof with stuff when we brought our kid back from college.

I’m sure with three adults and all the stuff packed to the roof in the entire car , there was space for one person to sit in the second row, it was way over 1600.

If it’s a sag issue you might want to look at some booster bags for the rear springs ,

Just 8 adults would be over 1600
And we have driven it with 10 adults in it .
The two smallest ones got the cargo area behind the third row .

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sure can tow… here’s my 2016. Just drove from Jacksonville to Huntsville. No problems. Had plenty of power (Full Race equipped w/ tune). Stopped with no issue. It’s about half the weight MAC1 was towing.

Attachments

• B5B48DD2-EF90-451A-863F-A2B67C75B65D.jpeg
    B5B48DD2-EF90-451A-863F-A2B67C75B65D.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 13

guspech750

Reaction score
We have a 2017 Expy XLT with the tow package. Our Cherokee Grey Wolf 23MK travel trailer is about 7,700lbs max. I use the Equlizer 10,000/1,000 WDH. On long trips that last two to three weeks I will load up what ever I can over the axles of the trailer. I’ll even fill up the fresh water tank a lot of the times. Seems to tow better on windy days with water in the tank. I’ll load two small 2000 watt inverter generators in water tight container and the trailers spare tire in the back of the Expy. On our short local weekend trips to our state parks. I’m not loading up extra stuff in the trailer or truck compared to the long trips. I’ll put our fishing kayaks on the roof of our Expy with the back of the truck empty. Truck handles well. I did upgrade the tires, larger sway rear sway bar and Sumo springs. It’s just my wife, myself and our dog. I try to be aware of what we bring and where I load stuff. My wife on the other hand doesn’t think that way. I have to constantly tell her no.

I for sure will not buy a larger trailer or load more crap without buying 3/4-1 ton truck. I most likely will buy an F350 this year or next year and retire our beloved Expy from towing duties.

Attachments

• 93A829F0-E028-4629-B8F5-8A9E7FA34C53.jpeg
    93A829F0-E028-4629-B8F5-8A9E7FA34C53.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 9BDDF305-9358-4DD7-B129-DBAC2DC56E3E.jpeg
    9BDDF305-9358-4DD7-B129-DBAC2DC56E3E.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 13