2015 Expy trying to start itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quadradomus

Reaction score
I recently switched to using my backup key FOB.
So... now when I exit the vehicle, and use FOB to lock it.
The vehicle tries for a moment to start itself, but quickly shuts itself off.
What is going on here?
Also, sometimes when I lock with FOB, it will honk horn. (And tjat is with a single hit of the lock button on fob)— not the double tap which of course is supposed to honk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently switched to using my backup key FOB.
So... now when I exit the vehicle, and use FOB to lock it.
The vehicle tries for a moment to start itself, but quickly shuts itself off.
What is going on here?
Also, sometimes when I lock with FOB, it will honk horn. (And tjat is with a single hit of the lock button on fob)— not the double tap which of course is supposed to honk.

Did you buy the vehicle new? If not...you might have a remote starter installed. I know with mine...I can use the aftermarket fob or the stock fob to start it. It just requires hitting the buttons in a simple sequence.

That’s my two cents.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited

OP
OP
Q

Quadradomus

Reaction score
Yes, I realize I have a remote start capability, but you don’t remote start it by simply locking the door.
And as I was saying, it doesn’t actually start... you lock the door, and the engine starts to turn over, and then suddenly doesn’t completely start.
It’s just acting very strange.
Also, sometimes I unlock the door, and then when you open the door, the horn starts honking.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I realize I have a remote start capability, but you don’t remote start it by simply locking the door.
And as I was saying, it doesn’t actually start... you lock the door, and the engine starts to turn over, and then suddenly doesn’t completely start.
It’s just acting very strange.
Also, sometimes I unlock the door, and then when you open the door, the horn starts honking.

I’m aware you don’t start it by locking the door. I’m trying to narrow down the issue.

Is it stock remote start or an aftermarket one?

When is the last time you changed the battery in the fob?

OP
OP
Q

Quadradomus

Reaction score
I am pretty certain that the remote start is from the factory. I didn’t buy it new, but the fob has buttons for remote start, etc. and I have always been pretty certain that was a factory item. At the dealership they demonstrated the remote start via the fob, and they seemed fully in tune with it.

Since I have two fobs, I can’t remember which one I put a new battery in about a year ago. However, the other fob needs a new battery, so I believe this current fob is the one that got the battery replaced about a year ago, and has not been used since that time.
Obviously I should probably just start with replacing batteries in both fobs.
I’m just hoping it’s not some weird electrical issue.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am pretty certain that the remote start is from the factory. I didn’t buy it new, but the fob has buttons for remote start, etc. and I have always been pretty certain that was a factory item. At the dealership they demonstrated the remote start via the fob, and they seemed fully in tune with it.

Since I have two fobs, I can’t remember which one I put a new battery in about a year ago. However, the other fob needs a new battery, so I believe this current fob is the one that got the battery replaced about a year ago, and has not been used since that time.
Obviously I should probably just start with replacing batteries in both fobs.
I’m just hoping it’s not some weird electrical issue.

I’d change the batteries in the fobs. Then I’d disconnect the main battery under the hood for 5-10 min and see if that resets the system and resolves the issue.

If none of those work...you might be looking at some electrical issues. Esp if it just started randomly but wasn’t doing it before.

Plati

Reaction score
I'd pull the batteries out and measure the voltage. Always best to diagnose a problem vs throw parts at it. Just sayin

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm guessing (operative word) the fob has some sort of short or loose connection as remote start takes the lock button to be pressed followed by two remote start presses (on my '17) and you're getting them both when you press lock. (Or just don't remote lock and use the buttons on the outside of the door.)

Batteries are cheap enough to just buy two and not bother with testing their voltages. As for trouble shooting one works and the other doesn't. Stop using the so-called backup one if this continues.

-- Chuck

Plati

Reaction score
I'm guessing (operative word) the fob has some sort of short or loose connection as remote start takes the lock button to be pressed followed by two remote start presses (on my '17) and you're getting them both when you press lock. (Or just don't remote lock and use the buttons on the outside of the door.)

Batteries are cheap enough to just buy two and not bother with testing their voltages. As for trouble shooting one works and the other doesn't. Stop using the so-called backup one if this continues.

-- Chuck
Chuck. It's not a cheap thing. It's a diagnosis thing. Identify the issue vs guessing. Also, think the batteries in my fob were kind of expensive. I agree though, it's probably a broken fob in some way not a battery.

From his description. I'm thinking the battery replacement a year ago, the fob was reassembled a bit incorrectly ... Maybe. Might be just take it apart and line it up right? Wild guess