2015 Ford Expedition Mid-Cycle Enhancement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the 5.4 Triton V-8 will be gone, but certainly not forgotten. Its technology, engineering, and durability (which it shared with the 4.6 Triton V-8) lives on in the 5.0 Coyote V-8.

In-fact, the 5.0 Coyote V-8 is essentially a bored-and-stroked 4.6 Triton V-8, which was offered in the Expedition from 1997 to 2004. So think of it as the 4.6 is back, but with more muscle than the 5.4.

The 10-speed 10R80/10R85 manumatic transmission will make good use of the 5.0’s torque with its ultra low first, second, and third gearing ratios. The Expedition should launch like a rhino on crack.

I have nothing against the coyote, just that Im a fan of the 5.4. I know the coyote is kin to the 5.4 but still has to prove itself in my book. But thinking about the acceleration is pretty nice, but Ill be rocking this 5.4 expedition for as long as I can get parts for her. Hell I may retire still driving this truck if all goes well and that is more then fine by me.

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be capped out in my payscale by the time the 10 speed tranny comes out.... I maybe have to condsider upgrading my '05....

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now my question is, will the all new ford expedition 2015 be equipped with rear locking differential?
I sent an email to Ford and their reply was "YES". Check attachment, I am just afraid the replied to me didn't understand me well, I didn't mean the ABS.
uploadfromtaptalk1396988643399.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now my question is, will the all new ford expedition 2015 be equipped with rear locking differential?
I sent an email to Ford and their reply was "YES". Check attachment, I am just afraid the replied to me didn't understand me well, I didn't mean the ABS.
View attachment 8337

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Expedition 4x4s have a center locking differential (inside the transfer case) fitted as standard. Its electronically locked in both Four High and Four Low modes.

But to answer your question – in all honesty, I have not seen or heard of Ford moving to offer a rear locking differential in the Expedition.

None of the Expedition’s direct rivals (except for the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon) offer a electronic rear locking differential. The Tahoe has a optional (not all have it) automatic rear locking differential, however, the Expedition’s four-wheel electronic traction control system out-performs it in every way. So it’s rather a mute point.

Ford engineers may have shoehorned a rear locker in the Expedition just for "experimental grins and giggles" at some point, but the four-wheel electronic traction control system (ABS brake differential locking) works just as good as a locker, and even better in some situations.

Most die-hard locker fans I know, do not like to hear that, but unfortunately for them, its true. Its certainly more effective than any limited-slip differential, by 100 fold.

I would imagine though, if Ford did offer a rear locking differential for the Expedition, it would be the GKN Driveline selectable electronic locking rear differential that is used in the F-150 FX4 and SVT Raptor. The Expedition uses the 9.75 inch rear differential, so in theory, it should swap right over.

I do know Ford's engineers were able to program AdvanceTrac to take into account the F-150's rear locker, so it turns off at the rear wheels (when locked), but still functions at the front wheels. So in theory, the same can be done for the Expedition, from a OEM standpoint.

Below is the GKN Driveline electronic locking differential used in the F-150 since 2009 for the 9.75 axle...
403ed1319625851.jpg

Last edited: