2015 rear muffler delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nevin

Reaction score
I know there are other threads asking about if people have done this, so I will just add to the pile now and share my first "mod" on my 2015 expedition el.

Ive never tried doing this from my phone so i hope the attachments work. If not, im sorry for my ignorance.

Basically, 2015 expy has 170k on it and the muffler looked like a cat crawled in and died. The insulation was coming undone and im sure I was losing a teenie scoosh of flow and performance. Id been wanting to do a rear muffler delete anyway cause i hate how the stock one sticks out the back. I much prefer how the pickups go out the side so i just went and got a 3" 90 from napa, a stainless 90 hanger, an easy seal 3" exhaust clamp, a regular 3" exhaust clamp, and i got my favorite 4" resonated angle cut exhaust tip from eBay.

Cut the 90 at about 60* in the bend then just turned it and welded it then welded on my hanger, clamped the end to the old exhaust, cut the pipe to length to fit with the tip, used the easy deal clamp to butt the exhaust to the tip, and voila!

All in all i think it looks good! Mounts up to the stock muffler bracket and gets the job done. * air high five*

If anything i may move it in another inch, but I will try it like this first and see how it tickles my fancy.

Basically I wanted something that you wouls never guess was not a factory piece to the casual onlooker.

20190630_181147.jpg

20190701_120335_HDR.jpg

20190701_120332_HDR.jpg

20190705_223128.jpg

20190705_223140.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. I think you are the first to weld yours up and actually make the exit angle the same as the earlier models.
Everyone else’s angle down a bit more as will mine but that is the nature of the parts just using clamps.
170k miles on a 2015 that is impressive too! I have 65k in my 16 and that is more than I prefer but got a good deal. My driving I won’t be at 170k for 7 more years.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did an axle dump on my 16. I like it better because the tip isn’t hanging out there like the older style ones. Nice big 4-1/2” tip. Chrome on mine and black on my wife’s. Those rear resonators on the 15-17 just looked like a sore thumb

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
I did an axle dump on my 16. I like it better because the tip isn’t hanging out there like the older style ones. Nice big 4-1/2” tip. Chrome on mine and black on my wife’s. Those rear resonators on the 15-17 just looked like a sore thumb

Yes they do!

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
Looks good. I think you are the first to weld yours up and actually make the exit angle the same as the earlier models.
Everyone else’s angle down a bit more as will mine but that is the nature of the parts just using clamps.
170k miles on a 2015 that is impressive too! I have 65k in my 16 and that is more than I prefer but got a good deal. My driving I won’t be at 170k for 7 more years.

Yeah I bought it from a dealer back in March and the previous owner used it to drive all over the place for their clothing business, so it was all Hwy miles anyway.

Ive been slowly changing the fluids out, first was the tranny, rear diff, and I'm trying the amsoil 5w30 signature synthetic too as it gets good reviews. I'm not a "once a year" kinda guy but I will probably just go to 5k and change the oil.

The tranny seems like there is a slight hesitation when you first take off. And I mean slight. But if i use tow haul I like how it seems to be in the right gear, plus I like the downshifting. I know it's not a sportscar, but does that seem normal?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - and have the rear-exit muffler (which I do not plan to change).

I have always thought the 2015-2017 muffler set-up looks like a “ricer coffee can” muffler.

One advantage I’ve found to the rear-exit muffler, is that if I pull forward into my detached garage, I can start the vehicle with the garage door raised - and most of the exhaust fumes go out of the garage (sub-zero winters...).

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
I can see how that would make sense, but I was standing behind it the other day while it was running and loading stuff in the back, and it got kinda toasty back there too!

I could see an argument for either.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by “hanging out”, here is my stock Eddie Bauer, it’s flush with the body.

01810213-C0A4-4793-8A3C-B276E48FC870.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7BB44245-98AF-44F1-BCFB-B65FFD0229A5.jpeg

That 1-2” of clearance Ford left is so it doesn’t burn up the cladding I’d imagine....