2016 2017 Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djock12

Reaction score
Hello, i currently have a 2007 EL with the heavy duty tow package. I am looking to upgrade to a 2016 or 2017 platinum or limited version. I see some advertised with a "payload package" and some actually have the heavy duty tow package advertised. What exactly is the payload package? Is it the same as the heavy duty tow package?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There has been some talk of this on here before and to be honest Ive never seen a payload package on an Expedition. Ive seen the option on trucks though.

You can still build a 17 model Expedition on Fords site and they only offer the heavy duty tow package, no payload package. If I were you I would find one with the HD tow package and load leveling shocks.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealerships often use junk software in advertising.

Each and every 2016 or 2017 Limited or Platinum you find will have HD Tow included. It was standard equipment for those lines during those years. It was only optional on some XLT, XL, SSV.

As mentioned, there was no "payload package" for Expedition. That applies to pickups and refers to bed hauling capacity.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If payload is a big issue for you, keep in mind the XLTs will have a higher payload because they have less optional weight. My 17 XLT EL (with HD tow, 202a package, and nav) has a higher payload than my max tow F150 platinum by over 100 pounds. Look on the door jam sticker to see the actual payload, mine is 1488 pounds and I do not have the load leveling nivomat suspension (which is still an option even on the limited with HD tow).

OP
OP
D

djock12

Reaction score
thanks to all for the knowledge and insight. It helped to clear some things up.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine is a standard length XLT 4x4 and it’s rated for 1,749 pounds payload. Coolzy nailed it, the less curb the higher the payload, I’d imagine it’s highest on 2WD models.[

Last edited:

bivywack

Reaction score
What year is your XLT Expy that gets you 1,700+ lb payload? Is that 2018 or newer (that’s when they went aluminum body, right)?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your XLT Expy that gets you 1,700+ lb payload? Is that 2018 or newer (that’s when they went aluminum body, right)?

There's a Google sheet on the forum that has the payload numbers for various 4th gen configurations.