2016 Headlights Halogen or LED's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exponman

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my headlights because I can't see at night with the stock halogens.
I don't want HID's because of the warm up time.
At first I was thinking about getting the GTR ultra 2 or the DD SL1's but read people have problems with them blinding other drivers, flickering or still having an issue with putting an LED bulb into a projector headlight housing for low beam.
Is there an LED I can use?
Is there a recommended halogen I can use?
I have an upgraded wiring harness for my 1st Gen Tacoma that let's me run 100W halogens.
Is there something like that for the 3rd Gen Expedition?

I have searched already on the forum and the only thing I've seen that might work is using Phillips Extreme Vision in both high and low beams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my headlights because I can't see at night with the stock halogens.
I don't want HID's because of the warm up time.
At first I was thinking about getting the GTR ultra 2 or the DD SL1's but read people have problems with them blinding other drivers, flickering or still having an issue with putting an LED bulb into a projector headlight housing for low beam.
Is there an LED I can use?
Is there a recommended halogen I can use?
I have an upgraded wiring harness for my 1st Gen Tacoma that let's me run 100W halogens.
Is there something like that for the 3rd Gen Expedition?

I have searched already on the forum and the only thing I've seen that might work is using Phillips Extreme Vision in both high and low beams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I personally use the auxito 9005+h11 kit in my 2017 expy. Auxito has the benefit of slim 1:1 design and no noise interference. Zdatt has a built in decoder and color lenses for different color temperatures but they don’t fit perfectly. Let me know if you need any other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Exponman

Reaction score
I personally use the auxito 9005+h11 kit in my 2017 expy. Auxito has the benefit of slim 1:1 design and no noise interference. Zdatt has a built in decoder and color lenses for different color temperatures but they don’t fit perfectly. Let me know if you need any other suggestions.

I'm guessing you have projector low beam housings too?
I went to the website and they offer several different options for both high and low beam bulbs.

Not sure what you mean by a decoder.
Is that needed?

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have projector low beam housings too?
I went to the website and they offer several different options for both high and low beam bulbs.

Not sure what you mean by a decoder.
Is that needed?

No but i want to buy the projector housings. I’ll include the link for the auxitos that i use. The decoder is basically a resistor that tricks the computer - i needed decoder on my jeep that i had.

AUXITO 9005 H11 LED Headlight... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZT28XY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

OP
OP
E

Exponman

Reaction score
No but i want to buy the projector housings. I’ll include the link for the auxitos that i use. The decoder is basically a resistor that tricks the computer - i needed decoder on my jeep that i had.

AUXITO 9005 H11 LED Headlight... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZT28XY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the link, but don't think it will work properly.
According to what I'm reading, you have to buy a "newer style" LED that will work in the factory projector housing. I guess the newer ones are designed and built closer to spec to emit light like a halogen would that way it produces light properly.

Grover6

Reaction score
I have been running the Diode Dynamics SL1 bulbs in low and high beam position for almost 2 years. No issues at all. You need to make sure you orient the bulb correctly, so it is sitting vertical. This makes it match the light pattern of the stock halogen.

They do flicker when on as running light only, but I always turn my lights on when driving so that is not an issue for me.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but don't think it will work properly.
According to what I'm reading, you have to buy a "newer style" LED that will work in the factory projector housing. I guess the newer ones are designed and built closer to spec to emit light like a halogen would that way it produces light properly.

I have never had a problem with auxitos design that i sent. I have put them in other peoples cars and a lot of projector assemblies and they work phenomenally