2016+ Hood and Tailgate Corrosion / Bubbling Paint Warranty Claim Approved!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PC Rob

Reaction score
Roger, sure would appreciate whatever you can drum up on this! Any help or info would be great. Thanks.

PC Rob

Reaction score
I was having the dreaded hood and tailgate corrosion/bubbling paint issue. I bought my 2016 in late 2016 as a Ford Certified pre-owned with ~25k miles. I now have 71k miles. I took it to a dealer body shop a few weeks ago and they told me Ford modified their corrosion warranty to cover this for 2016+ model years. They didn't mention the details other than the fact that there are varying mileage limitations. They took pictures and submitted it. It was approved within a week. They are actually replacing the hood and tailgate, as opposed to repainting.

Though I would share in case others were perhaps denied previously. You might want to check in again to see of the modified warranty would cover you now.

PC Rob

Reaction score
Your work was completed I assume, when and where did this get done? Can you share the details, work order, etc? I'm in the middle of the same situation now here in Florida, but not as fortunate as you are, they still want me to pay! Thanks

Plati

Reaction score
I don't believe anybody who claims on an internet Forum that Ford replaced their hood and liftgate for free due to the paint bubbling problem. The Dealer might do it as a favor or by mistake or some other non warranty reason (brother in law) but that's not Ford. Ford doesn't have a program to do this. There are a lot of people who like to raise hackles with false claims on internet Forums.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well. I did get my Hood and Liftgate replaced by Ford for Free by the bodyshop at my local ford dealer. I even just took it there to get some paint scratches (got key'd) repaired and asked for a quote on the hood and the very slight bubbling on the liftgate. They looked it up and got it approved without my even causing a fuss.

Why was I the lucky one? I do not have that answer. I do have two suspicions. A). I just bought the Expedition used from another dealership within the same "family" as my ford dealership. Maybe they wanted to take care of the 'new' customer so they may have pressed Ford on it. I doubt it. B) The previous owner of my Expedition purchased the Premium Care package. That package was transferable and stays with the vehicle. Perhaps when they are 'covered', they get easier approval from Ford.

OP
OP
ynpmoose

ynpmoose

Reaction score
Your work was completed I assume, when and where did this get done? Can you share the details, work order, etc? I'm in the middle of the same situation now here in Florida, but not as fortunate as you are, they still want me to pay! Thanks

This is being handled through Manderbach Ford in Hamburg, PA. They are still waiting on a backordered hood. The tailgate and badges are in. I did not buy it from them, nor do i have any special "connections". I bought it from another Ford dealer under their Ford certified pre-owned program.

MrSticker seems quite skeptical... Once it is complete I can scan in whatever documentation I get back and share it here.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is being handled through Manderbach Ford in Hamburg, PA. They are still waiting on a backordered hood. The tailgate and badges are in. I did not buy it from them, nor do i have any special "connections". I bought it from another Ford dealer under their Ford certified pre-owned program.

MrSticker seems quite skeptical... Once it is complete I can scan in whatever documentation I get back and share it here.

He is likely skeptical because 2015 units are not covered in the text of their warranty whereas 2016 and 17 have such stated in it. It’s going to be more difficult to get a 14 or 15 covered but some have got it done one way or another.

OP
OP
ynpmoose

ynpmoose

Reaction score
He is likely skeptical because 2015 units are not covered in the text of their warranty whereas 2016 and 17 have such stated in it. It’s going to be more difficult to get a 14 or 15 covered but some have got it done one way or another.

That I can see. The dealer explicitly told me that 2015 and older were out of luck. So any of those getting fixed for free are unicorns.

PC Rob

Reaction score
Lift gate gate replaced at a cost of $1243 out of my pocket so far! Dealing with Ford still to see what else they can do! Supposedly, they may still come through and give me a better deal by refunding some or all of my out of pocket expense. I'll update when I have more info, but meanwhile look at the paint work! Primer shows through the clear coat at the top inside lip of the lift gate, and of course the original bolts were reinstalled obviously with an impact gun, and were left chewed up and unprotected by paint like it originally was. How long do you think it'll take for the rust to start there, especially living in an ocean environment? No pride in work anymore!

thumbnail.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Plati

Reaction score

That I can see. The dealer explicitly told me that 2015 and older were out of luck. So any of those getting fixed for free are unicorns.
I still think anybody getting ANY year fixed is a unicorn. Are you (in general "you", not MrYNP) trying to tell me that 2016 and later any paint bubbling will always be fixed by Ford under warranty every time?

Except … MrYNP (who's OP said his 2016 was getting fixed free) now has $1243 out of pocket into the repair. Not faulting him just sorting this out. Trying to understand reality.

Last edited: