2016 Passenger Air Bag Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael McC

Reaction score
I have an annoying squeak on the passenger side of my dash that can be reproduced by pushing on the panel that says AIRBAG on it. I removed a couple of the screws under that panel to try to remove it, but it seems like it is an integral part of what's underneath it, not a removable cover. I have slid things back there to try to stop the squeak to no avail.

So, anyone else encounter this? Ways to fix it? Can I remove that cover or not? Kinda scared to start using force in that area.

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
Not sure what year you have but I believe that the passenger airbag is all one piece.

OP
OP
M

Michael McC

Reaction score
Sorry, the year is in the thread title, but not the post. The vehicle is a 2016 King Ranch 4x4.

The question is whether the plastic dash cover that says AIRBAG on it is part of the airbag assembly. Is it removable as a trim piece? Anyone know the answer for certain? I need to get a shim in there to stop the squeaking.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 2007-2014 Expeditions it is a removable piece. 15-17 trucks aren’t the same interior so I’m not sure if yours can be removed the same.

On the F-150 the procedure to remove airbag itself and cover is to unplug the battery, drop the glovebox out and there are three screws that hold the airbag in place. Remove the screws and use plastic pry tool to remove trim piece. Obviously your just going for the trim.

3420ABFA-2B8C-4EA9-88B4-AD2B21A3FE2A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michael McC

Reaction score
Thanks. Could not find anything myself. Good job. I guess if I removed the airbag I could more easily stuff some spacers in there because the other dash trim would not be in the way. Kinda crummy to have that squeak. It's constant even on smooth roads.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this problem on my 15 Malibu. I cut a piece of pool noodle and shoved it up in between yhr airbag and metal crossbar beneath it. They were just close enough to squeek. I'm sure you're in the same boat, the airbag module is not tightly held in and any movement can cause a squeek or rattle. Just don't out anything in front of it or risk damaging it.. .