2016 Rear Diff stub axle seals wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orville

Reaction score
Just had the truck in for its second oil change at 18k and the rear diff has wet stub axles.

Anyone seen similar? The ford tech said it was from assembly and cleaned it well. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few months.

I've towed up to the limit with the truck. Love me some ecoboost.

Edit: 3.31 ratio, non limited slip.

IMG_0036.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be weary, but you've already done what you could: Clean it and see if it reappears.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Ford Tech needs to go back through their program or find another line of work. That is a weeping seal, leaks just enough to be noticeable. Plain and simple it isn't right. If this was a commercial vehicle (semi) the DOT could fine you or shut you down until it was fixed. Take it back in to be replaced if still under warranty. It wasn't like that when you bought it...so don't listen to their bs.
Causes of leaky blown seals - poor machining in rear assembly, out of balance axle(wobbles), vent clogged with mud or bad seal to begin with.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talk to the Service Manager. Looks like a weeping seal to me. Diff is filled after assembly, so I suspect the Tech is wrong.
brick

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '16 as well but wouldn't notice a weep leak on mine as it was sprayed with Fluid Film for rust resistance.On another note I would be more worried that 18K is only a second oil change....I would do it every 3K and my dealer also recommends every 3K regardless of what the oil life gauge says. Ecoboost engines have issues with the intake valves getting oil deposits. And clean lube oil is very important for the turbos.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '16 as well but wouldn't notice a weep leak on mine as it was sprayed with Fluid Film for rust resistance.On another note I would be more worried that 18K is only a second oil change....I would do it every 3K and my dealer also recommends every 3K regardless of what the oil life gauge says. Ecoboost engines have issues with the intake valves getting oil deposits. And clean lube oil is very important for the turbos.

If he's running synthetic, 9K is just fine imho and if he's not 5-6K. Doing them every 3K surely can't hurt, but there's never been any scientific justification for doing 3K changes in modern engines under normal operating conditions. Run an oil analysis at 5-6K and I would bet a week's pay the oil is still just fine (provided the engine is healthy of course and you're not street racing every night).

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ecoboost is a unique animal. Dry intake valves and turbos...two major sources of headaches with improper oil and extened changes. If it's a lease or you trade 'em after a few years by all means change it at 9K. I run a fleet of various fords from 1985 to 2016....every one max 3K on the oil. Cheap insurance. Took the heads off one of our pickups at 180,000 and inside looked new. The machine shop thought the heads & valves had only 60,000 miles on it. All cylinders no grooves at the top and still had visible cross hatching.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4 x 4, purchased new, now with 20,*** miles on it.

I looked at the rear differential after this post and my differential has NO oil on the housing.

I suspect you have a defect that should be repaired under the vehicle warranty.

Good luck.

OP
OP
O

Orville

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4 x 4, purchased new, now with 20,*** miles on it.

I looked at the rear differential after this post and my differential has NO oil on the housing.

I suspect you have a defect that should be repaired under the vehicle warranty.

Good luck.

Thank you for checking. Do you tow at all with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk