2016 Rear Diff stub axle seals wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for checking. Do you tow at all with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never towed with it - although it has the HD towing package.

I drive most of the year in 2WD (RWD), and use the AWD feature in the rain or light snow. I have also used the 4W-HI in snow, but not very much.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Orville - I just checked mine and I have just a bit less than you do on the driver's side. I am due for an oil change in 1500 miles so I will have them check it out. And yes, I towed my 30' camper this year but only one trip - about 500 miles round trip. If it were an active leak it would be a lot more moist/wet is my view. Keep us posted!

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 with 4000 miles is also clean as a whistle. I tow a 6000 lb boat, but waited until I had 1000 miles on it before towing.
brick

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Known issues complete with service letter. Take it back and have them repair it.

PS to the guy who said if this was a CMV they could shut you down" that's not true. Not sure what your knowledge base is but only leaks with visible traces can cause a shutdown. This is from a guy running a fleet complete with a DOT officer on the payroll.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Montecarlo31 - You mention a service letter - any chance you have a reference to that? Or at least the TSB number so I can present that to the dealer? Thanks!!

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
let me see if I still have the paperwork saved any dealer who services a lot of expeditions will know it by heart. I sold the expedition months ago (and am phasing our fleet ones out too).

OP
OP
O

Orville

Reaction score
let me see if I still have the paperwork saved any dealer who services a lot of expeditions will know it by heart. I sold the expedition months ago (and am phasing our fleet ones out too).
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize you hung out here and pirate. Do you recall the cause of leak? Or the remedy?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize you hung out here and pirate. Do you recall the cause of leak? Or the remedy?

Leak was caused by the seals on the CV sides. The dealers cleaned the surface area and replaced the seals. No issues surfaced after cleaning and proper installation. I believe that the shop building the diffs does a poor job cleaning and assembling them. Only one leaked a second time the rest have been good.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Part number show on repair for seals are 7L1Z-4A109-A times two and one BL3Z-4676-A. This was completed at 7900 miles. It had probably leaked before and I never noticed it.