2017 3.5 EB Oil Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love Machete's screen name...Machete Lives, Machete in Space, Machete Kills, Machete Kills Again..a whole genre of movies Danny made....B movies with hot chics trying to be "actresses"...love them....anyway, to the point.

IMHO You guys are right and you guys are wrong...oh no, say it ain't so!

You guys can sort out whose who....but putting Diesel grade oil in your 4 stroke engine is very much like me putting your trucks 4 stroke oil in one of my Two stroke motorcycle engines. I build stuff, engine stuff and can promise you that the results are identical;

It will smell different..........that's it, no other difference.....it will smell different. Yeah, it you want to get picky, a plug might get fouled on my bike....but for you, no difference other than smell.

Your 4 stroke oil has components my two stroke oil doesn't, a different additives package is about the only difference however yours, for your car/truck costs a lot more than the one for 2 stroke oil b/c it has to endure for thousands of miles over time. So, in effect, it's overkill. It will smoke more because there is no smoke/ash reduction component in your package but it will lube better(remember overkill..2 stroke oil is designed to be burnt and gone...it has no long term film strength) and run fine.

Putting D in your 4 stroke is essentially doing the same thing...and it can easily handle the pressures(bmep) that our trucks engines plateau at. No, it won't have the same additive package but it has much higher solvent content(clean surfaces), much higher film strength and very good long term stability.

Now it's easy to extrapolate that putting TWO STROKE oil in your car/truck OR Diesel would be bad, very, very, very bad....this is true.

OKay, back to your regularly featured argument............

jeff

All correct. It's just that so many people are so hung up on doing what the back of a bottle or what a manufacturer recommends that they act like it's the only safe thing you can do. It's just a recommendation in most situations. Most people are completely unaware that just a couple of decades ago we use standard motor oil in two stroke engines. I still have equipment that says right on it to use 30 weight motor oil or two-stroke oil.
If you started a thread today about using normal motor oil in a 2-stroke engine people would come out of the woodwork and tell you you're absolutely wrong and that you're going to destroy your engine. They fail to realize how dumb they sound because they act like they know everything when actually they are uninformed.
When I tell somebody something, I know it to be true or it is what I have experienced personally so I know it factually did occur.
If something that comes up is not my area of expertise or I have no experience I will simply State this. Then if they make a statement that intrigues me I will go research it. Then I will come back and say hey I never knew that I learned something.
But this is not how most of the world works. They are convinced they know everything often from only getting information from One Source and if you don't agree with them you are obviously wrong, misinformed, uneducated, stupid, or just a terrible human being.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been watching those "demonstrations" since the guys used to come around High School auto class to show us in the early 70's.

To those that don't understand why it still runs and think it has to do with residual oil film, well, it does partially but the biggest reason those engines run on a minimum of lubrication is the lack of heat.....spin that puppy up to 4500-6000rpm for 20 seconds......and you'll see exactly, or more accurately, you'll HEAR why real oil is a good thing for engines.

Nice way to end the noise Chuck!

jeff

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
I've been watching those "demonstrations" since the guys used to come around High School auto class to show us in the early 70's.

To those that don't understand why it still runs and think it has to do with residual oil film, well, it does partially but the biggest reason those engines run on a minimum of lubrication is the lack of heat.....spin that puppy up to 4500-6000rpm for 20 seconds......and you'll see exactly, or more accurately, you'll HEAR why real oil is a good thing for engines.

ROTFLMAO....reminds me of a girl I once knew had a cute Unicorn outfit......cute as heck!

Nice way to end the noise Chuck!

jeff

That gal wouldn't be the one in your profile pic would it??