2017 Expedition EL Limited constant bluetooth disconnection/reconnection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night vision

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been noticing an issue with bluetooth on my 2017 Expedition EL Limited. When not in active use (not streaming anything from my phone), I'll notice the system disconnect and quickly reconnect to the phone portion of my phone, but will not reconnect to the media device. It does not do this if I'm playing music or using the GPS on my phone because the onboard maps are outdated.

It will do this every five or ten minutes...it catches my eye because there's a brief flash of text on the top of the screen.

I've already deleted the device from the vehicle and reconnected it to see if this resolved it -- it did not so I'm suspecting something with the vehicle.

Anyone else noticing the same, or could offer a fix?

Many thanks,

Phil

Mmart

Reaction score
I had a 2010 for 7 yrs and never had an issue. I picked up my 2016 in January and it worked fine for the first month or so and then the system dropped the connection on the middle of a call and was stuck until I reset it. After that it would randomly (but frequently) drop the connection playing music with Bluetooth and even with my phone plugged in. I didn’t find much in terms of a fix but I found a lot of people having the same issue. I did a software update on the system that I found from Ford and since then it’s only dropped once but I’d be lying if I said I’m confident it solved the problem. I just think the sync 3 is junk and if I was the kind of person who was in the truck constantly and needed it to work all the time I’d rip it out but that can be pricey. I agree it’s annoying but the worst part for me is that i need to put the volume up more when using the phone so if the connection drops it defaults to FM which ends up blasting and I can’t see that being good for the speakers or my heart for that matter!

OP
OP
night vision

night vision

Reaction score
I often forget to turn the volume down when an album ends. So naturally when the connection is lost, it starts up with the last station preset.....which may have been loud!

The phone stays connected for the most part, but the media player -- not so much.

Anarak

Reaction score
Happened in my 2014 a few months ago. You need to pull the fuse in the passenger footwell. I forget which one but it’s in the owners manual. Just pull it, count to 30, and put it back. Mine connects now and stays connected. And better yet it didn’t drop any of my memory presets!